I'm Blue (Da Ba Dee Da Ba Die)

Tigershark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since the german winter is starting to bug me, here's some macro photography back from when it was warm outside.
I'm so looking forward to springtime and natures awakening.

#1 Green Underside Blue (Glaucopsyche alexis)
Alexis Bläuling - Green Underside Blue (Glaucopsyche alexis).jpg

#2 Common Blue (Polyommatus icarus)
Hauhechel-Bläuling - Common Blue (Polyommatus icarus).jpg

#3 Common Blue (Polyommatus icarus)
Hauhechel-Bläuling - Common Blue (Polyommatus icarus)1.jpg

Very nice, love the 3rd. Great rendering of the backgrounds. Is that the Canon 70-200/2.8?

Thank you.
They're all taken with the 200mm f2.8 L. Made a huge mistake when I sold this lense as well as my 70-200 f4.0 L to buy a 70-200 f2.8 L IS. The Bokeh and the sharpness just isn't the same.
I now bought a 24-70 f2.8 L for macro photography (+landscape and people). Haven't had a chance to use it outdoor yet but from what i've seen so far, it's a very good macro lense (and hopefully the bokeh will be as great as the 200mm f2.8 L was).

I could never afford those lenses. I still have a 100mm/2.8 Macro that I loved when I was shooting Canon. It is the non L version, with no stabilization. Write me a pm if are interested in it, will make you a good price :allteeth:

I agree with the others on the backgrounds. Not a fan of the crop in #1, but the colors are great and the image is sharp, There's way to much dead space around it. With a much tighter crop it would be my favorite. #2 I like the crop but the image lacks the tack sharp focus I would associate with a maco. #3 has a serious DOF problem that is distracting as well as the crop.

These were taken with with a 200/2.8, don't think its a 'true' macro lens (1:1), it does render beautifully though. I like the negative space because of the creamy bokeh.

I like the composiiton you arrived at in the second shot. The background rendering on these is very nice. Did you ever, or often, or never, use an extenstion tube with the 200/2.8? Just wondering, since I'm not familiar with its minimum focus distance.

@Darrel: The min. Dof is 1,5 m. I've never used extension tubes on the lens.
@smoke665: I could have used f5.6 or higher to get a bigger Dof but that would have "killed" the bokeh. The focus is exactly on the eyes and the wings of the butterflys so I choosed to go with f4.0 the keep the bokeh. To me, that was the better option in this case.

Thanks for all the comments.

no.2 is definitely my fav, love the gradient of colour in the background too!

I'm a fan of shot #2 as well. I like the way the background makes a natural vignette highlighting the subject.

Most reactions

Back