I'm buying a tripod...is this a good one?

paigew

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.paigewilks.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Slik Pro 700 I want something good, that I can trust with my gear (obviously). But I won't be using it often so I didn't want to spend the $$$ getting the manfroto. I am purchasing it to use on the beach for family photos so I am concerned with it being sturdy enough.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
165 Five Star reviews.

or maybe this one MeFoto

Between the two, I'd get the MeFoto. I _much_ prefer a ballhead (it's more versatile and easier to point) over the pan/tilt head (which is more appropriate for video) but I also like the fact that the MeFoto has a removeable head, you can remove a leg and convert it into a mono-pod, and it has an Arca-Swiss style quick-release plate. The Slik tripod appears to have a fixed head and a non-removeable plate.

The Arca-Swiss style plate is an industry standard.... LOTS of companies make heads that use this plate and you can easily buy more plates and they come in different lengths. What's nice about the "different lengths" is that you can mount the camera or lens to the plate, and slide the plate forward or backward to help balance the weight over the tripod.

I've never heard of MeFoto...but I've certainly heard of and have seen many Slik tripods. They look decent, but like most brands, they have a range...the cheap ones aren't as good as the more expensive ones.

I think that a more important choice, is what type of head do you want to use. The Slik you linked to, has a 3-way/pan head, while the other has a ball head.
Both look to have separate/removable heads, so that's good.

You mentioned shooting on a beach...so you may want to consider some type foot or something so that the legs don't sink into the sand. For example; three flat, palm sized rocks, to put under your legs, will make it much better than trying to set up on the sand. You could probably get three pieces of wood or plastic to do the job. They do make 'tripod' shoes as well. Gitzo G1586 All Weather Tripod Shoes (Set of 3) G1586B3 B&H

*edit*
Tim seems to think that the Slik doesn't have a removable head...he might be right, I can't tell for sure. If so, then I'd avoid it. And I do agree with him about the ball head.

or maybe this one MeFoto

I have the blue version of this. It's a fantastic Tripod. I don't shoot studio stuff much, so the small size is great for my outdoor photography. I find it to be decently sturdy and if I question it, I hang my bag from the hook.

Wow thank you guys! I can't believe I didn't even think about the head! I'm thinking the meFoto one may be the way I go. Plus, its lighter ;)

Mike, thanks for the tip about the flat surface. I will bring some pieces of wood to set the legs on :)

I'm curious...does the meFoto have the ability to hang weight in the middle?

I have a Slik SBH200DQ, great tripods.

Slik is a great brand, never heard of the other one if im being honest.

Wow thank you guys! I can't believe I didn't even think about the head! I'm thinking the meFoto one may be the way I go. Plus, its lighter ;)

Mike, thanks for the tip about the flat surface. I will bring some pieces of wood to set the legs on :)

Mine does.

Yes. See: MeFOTO RoadTrip Travel Tripod Kits | Available in Eight Colors | Converts to Monopod

It has a recessed hook on the bottom of the center column.

Before you do why don't you go to Precision Camera & Video at 2438 W Anderson Ln Ste B-4 and check it out in person. Better than buying one and not liking it when it arrives.

Before you do why don't you go to Precision Camera & Video at 2438 W Anderson Ln Ste B-4 and check it out in person. Better than buying one and not liking it when it arrives.

Ahhh yes, I love precision camera. Unfortunately, I have these two little people that are like....attached to me, and wild....I call them my little destroyers (2 & 3.5 yrs). I have been in twice with them and it wasn't pretty.

Anyways. I scratched the slik. Now deciding between meFoto and this Vanguard

ahhh f*ck it. I'm getting this (yes I just more than doubled my 'budget' :confused:)

unless anyone has a last minute warning about it at least ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back