I'm considering this new lens...

itsjustbrandy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
the nikon 55-200mm AF-S DX VR zoom lens. I currently have the nikon 50mm 1.8 & nikon 18-105. Would this be a smart move? I've been shooting mostly nature and starting to get into portrait shots...and I really think that I want to go in this direction... I found it for $150 shipped. Or just forget it and save for something prime?

I appreaciate the help :D

Unless you need the top end, I'd keep looking and saving.

The 55-200 VR is considered a very good lens, particularly at its price point. That being said, your reach would be significantly increased with the 70-300 VR, which is about $550 new.

Chuck, I found trying to shoot nature my 200mm was still too short, so I was suggesting go longer, perhaps 300mm with a TC, should have made myself more clearer.

Where did you find it for $150 shipped?

The lens is on sale right now on Black Friday promotion from Nikon USA for $149 available through Saturday. Call a local Nikon retailer and you can probably pick one up.

The lens is on sale right now on Black Friday promotion from Nikon USA for $149 available through Saturday. Call a local Nikon retailer and you can probably pick one up.

Would you consider this to be a good lens, based on the criteria given by the OP??

I found the deal on slickdeals.net, but it's thru staples with free shipping.

It is a very sharp lens and a great bang for your buck at $150. It is slow, but with enough light, you should be quite happy with it in the short run. When I want to go small (and there are a few times), I will take that lens, the 18-55mm and the D80.

Most reactions

Back