I'm going into the wedding business complete noob

Ilovelearning

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm not really going into the wedding business. What I am doing is taking pictures at my mothers wedding. I'm new and have had my d90 and 50mm f1.8 lens for a short time

I would like to take some nice pictures of my family and the wedding. Can anyone recommend some types of lenses that I should consider. My 50 mm is not going to cut it. I'm looking to purchase lenses I could use for future weddings if I ever get good enough. No one is talking about shooting weddings for money so I need no lectures on you suck why do you want to shoot weddings. I've seen that around here far to much.:lol:

If you could tell me why I need a lens it would also help me out instead of just saying get this one. Any advice you can give me will be appreciated.

Well first of all you're going to want a telephoto lens since most of the time you won't be right up near where you need to be...but a wider-angle would be good too.

Tamron and Sigma make a lot of lenses usually a bit cheaper than their Canikon counterparts with at least close to the same quality. I'd suggest at least a 17-50 2.8 lens (because, depending on how dark it is, a lens with a standard aperture is a great idea) and probably an 18-200 or so (getting a standard aperture in that size gets *very* expensive so you'll probably just want the normal version). I'd suggest image stabilization (Tamron labels it VR, Sigma labels it OS) for the same reason as the standard aperture.

Deja vu all over again.

Search is your friend.

ƒ/2.8 is our friend (24-70) (70 or 80-200)
ƒ/2 is your friend (200)
ƒ/1.4 is your friend (50, 85)

There did I cover it, if you don't understand why then you need more research

I don't really think there's much explanation, but low f stop on the Nikon lenses is great, if you're on a budget but want to preserve lenses for a long time and "get into the business" you're going to appreciate having the Nikon lenses over Sigma or similar, if you're just playing around and have money to blow but not too much and don't want to save, then I guess the Sigma 80-200 f/2.8 will work

SB-600 & SB-8/900
Umbrella
Stands
MF Tripod

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Someone post the judge Joe brown video!!!! Now!!!!

Oh Lordy.

Please be sure to post your results. People will learn from it.

me think someone is pulling our legs....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js7RzcdDcMs]YouTube - Judge Joe Brown - Cheap wedding photographer[/ame]

I also prefer Nikon lenses, do share your pictures so we can have better suggestion, you can go in business, try to capture every happy moment, best of luck

Most reactions

Back