I'm going to college

mitsugirly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have the opportunity to go back to school (in my old age lol) because I was able to get a grant and scholarship. I decided to go ahead and take photography in order to improve my skills. I know I have increased my skills over the last 9 months tremendously, but have a long way to go.

I had brought this subject up before asking if it was worth it to go to photography school, how many people did and so on. Most people said they were self taught. I know there are a lot of things for me to learn and photographers are constantly learning for years. I just figured it would help me out with everything I'm missing or can't figure out.

I'm just excited and wanted to share and hear any thoughts and suggestions on electives I should take if you know any. I start winter quarter, which is Jan 5th. I'm counting down the days.

well it depends really..
in my short 6 weeks in college
I have a few tutors (who admit) they dont know anything about the subject, yet they need to teach it.
Also one of my tutors is teaching sutdents VERY bad habits, I wont say which (as they may lurk this board as I have shown them it before)
basically the workflow isnt very well taught.
Lets just say, When they fix up stuff they dont use seperate layers they work on the one original layer

However there are other Tutors that are very good with their workflow and teach good habbits

If you plan to work for someone else: Photography school.

If you plan to work for yourself: Business school.

Take it.
Remember that proper schooling can give you a good framework to work to and it also frees up your time to dedicate to photography (your doing schoolwork not just messing around now ;) ).
Do expect things to be slow at first but they will speed up - and media courses are ones where if you put in the extra effort and time it does show up heavily at the end - hound after your tutors and squeeze every last bit out of them you can.

Also remember that if your after more than just lessons - if your looking to head towards working in photography - either as a main job or a side job - then contacts are another thing that education can give you which are a lot harder to find on your own. That one contact might be all the difference between getting a job and not

well it depends really..
in my short 6 weeks in college
I have a few tutors (who admit) they dont know anything about the subject, yet they need to teach it.
Also one of my tutors is teaching sutdents VERY bad habits, I wont say which (as they may lurk this board as I have shown them it before)
basically the workflow isnt very well taught.
Lets just say, When they fix up stuff they dont use seperate layers they work on the one original layer

However there are other Tutors that are very good with their workflow and teach good habbits

That's terrible to know. I've heard great reviews from this school and I know plenty of people that have went there and said the teachers and classes are great. However, no one that has done photography. I'm hoping they would have great teachers in those classes as well.

They don't teach layers???? That's crazy. I do know the books they use for PS is Scott Kelby, so I would think that would be a good sign. However, you said you've only been in classes for a short 6 weeks. Maybe they are just teaching you how to get around PS and the basics before they go into the more complicated things such as layers? I just can't imagine.

Last edited:
If you plan to work for someone else: Photography school.

If you plan to work for yourself: Business school.

My whole life I've been in the business industry and successfully owned and operated 2 businesses. I think I'm good to go on the business portion. But I do agree with your statement if I had not been in the positions I've had previously.

Take it.
Remember that proper schooling can give you a good framework to work to and it also frees up your time to dedicate to photography (your doing schoolwork not just messing around now ;) ).
Do expect things to be slow at first but they will speed up - and media courses are ones where if you put in the extra effort and time it does show up heavily at the end - hound after your tutors and squeeze every last bit out of them you can.

Also remember that if your after more than just lessons - if your looking to head towards working in photography - either as a main job or a side job - then contacts are another thing that education can give you which are a lot harder to find on your own. That one contact might be all the difference between getting a job and not

My brother in law just started photography this quarter. I've looked over 5 of his books and I'm very excited that probably about 70% of the things that were in there, I already know. I'm also glad that the other 30% is something I will learn. I think already knowing a little about photography, how to shoot and work the camera and knowing PS, LR and a few other programs is going to help me do well in the classes and get good grades. I just need to learn all the extra's I don't already know and improve what I'm currently doing and that's what I want to get out of it.

I would only take the classes in order to not only improve, but to move into doing photography for a living or at least a side job.

I'm a little confused about the contacts? They give you contacts in school? One's to get clients to come to you for work?

Congrats! I'm in photography school now (in my second year) and I have learned so much in such a short time and am loving it!

Well, going to photography, if it's a serious program and not just a community college type, will open you up to the different directions you can go with. There are those who wants to go commercial stuffs like studio product or portrait shots, or fine arts with unique personal style and development, or photo journalism and so on. Your first years of photography will probably be dealing with the fundamentals and probably won't get to develop your direction of interest till junior or senior years. The best way to judge whether you are at the right program is to look at what the seniors are doing and if they are able to find their own directions. A good program will be able to cultivate photographers of different directions, something that can cater for a variety of interests yet able to provide a professional level of guidance. If you find that the most of the seniors are doing the same style of photography, then you need to ask yourself if the program meets your needs.

I'm a little confused about the contacts? They give you contacts in school? One's to get clients to come to you for work?

They don't always give them to you - you have to get them out of them most times. The thing is a good school with good staff with have their ears to the ground in the photography world. They might know local photographers, companies and such which they can put you into contact with. Its something that is growning more in schools (esp the higher education ones) since its a key factor that potential students are looking for - a way to take their skills into a working environment.

wanna know which is the best photography school. photography is my passion.. thank you very much..

Sorry I didn't come back and update this. My major has changed. I'm going to school to be a nurse. I worked for the hospital for 14 years right out of H.S and I always wanted to be a nurse and after a lot of thought about going back to school, I decided this is what I wanted to do and it would be a more stable and high paying job. So, I start school in Jan and I'm on my way to a new career.

ISEEK | Minnesota's career, education, and job resource

Look at the career field you want and take a look.

I went back to school this fall too after getting laid off. Seems EVERYONE that I know went back to school for nursing. Talking with the folks that are in school it's a dog eat dog position to be in nursing. While they post they are looking for nurses, It's the experienced nurses they are looking for, not entry level.

A medical field like X-ray tech would be a good option. Something not "main stream".

A lot of careers are having a big relocation issue if you want to enter or stay in. I know manufacturing is a killer right now. I chose to go to a new field than have to move.

I wanted to consider photography also, but the program I got assistance through looked at it and said the career outlook was not good and would not fund it. (reference link above).

Seems EVERYONE that I know went back to school for nursing. Talking with the folks that are in school it's a dog eat dog position to be in nursing.

Don't know where you get your information from, but there is such a tremendous shortage in nursing (now and projected out for years) that the nursing profession in general in this country has been recruiting and importing nurses from other countries for many years because they cannot fill all the jobs with nurses from our own country.

Not always the most glamorous work, not always 9-5 mon-fri in a doctor's office, but a licensed RN or LPN can ALWAYS find a job, will only be out of work if she chooses to be.

A new graduate from an accredited School of Nursing can take her pick of jobs in any major metropolitan area.

In this area it is common for a Nurse to be making anywhere from $40,000 - $60,000 per year or more. If the nurse can do any specialized work that salary can go even higher.

I personally know RN's who make $25.00 - $40.00 per hour and work as much as they want to.

Any job that pays well will usually have some pressure to it, or what you might call dog-eat-dog.

How do I know? My wife is an RN, now early-retired by her own choice, and her mother, a retired Director of a School of Nursing.

Most reactions

Back