I'm intimidated!

Mel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I was thinking seriously about spending more money and getting a really nice camera and all the equipment I need to have my own studio. I haven't taken any classes on photography; I was just going to learn on my own. by books, learn my camera, and take a tone of pictures. I live in a SMALL town and there is only one professional photographer so I thought I could be the second. Well now I heard of another one that is going to be doing photography here in the NEAR future. probably sooner then me. he quit for a while and now wants to start back up. So now I'm worried that the 2 that have gone threw school for photography and then here i sit. Am I going to have a hard time getting people to come to me? should I take some classes? and if so which ones? I really enjoy taking pictures and I've been told I've got the eye. But all the equipement is expensive. I'm intimidated by the other photographers and the prices on the equipement. I'm not rich. Any suggestions on all of this? :confused:

Also I want to get a nice camera and lenses, one I can use in my portrait studio. Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch,
Melissa

haven taken classes in photography does not mean those people are good at photography in the end!

Look at me, I never took any class in photography, I never read any book on it and I not even read my camera's manual, nevertheless I am not a good photographer

.. wait, something was wrong in that logic. ;)

Nevermind, to get serious, if I was you I would try to find out how "good" those people really are, have a look at their photographs, get some basic knowledge before, and use your eye. Then decide if you stand a chance against them.

Equipment ist expensive, that is true :(

Maybe also look for something you can offer that they don't, like pet portraits. I don't think I'd be intimidated... just realize that you need to do your homework first but some good advertising and word of mouth should help you.

At the same extent I wouldn't be discouraged if there is a learning curve and slow start at the begining until you get your name out.

I like the example of doing the pet portraits..just something the other photogs there don't do. To take it a step further, try developing a sort of style all your own. Something they can't necessarily get at the pro studios...

You don't need a degree in photography to be a professional, but you do need to know what you are doing, without a doubt. School can do that for you, or you can do it yourself. Doesn't matter. Just make sure you do understand the science of photography.

Thanks guys! I know and the thing is there is SOOO much homework. I don't even know where to start? I want to go digital. Right now I have a Nikon 65 and I've been using my sisters point and shoot digital so I can play with the apeture and shutter speed and get the results right away. but with her camera I've very limited. So i want to up grade my own camera.

I like the camera guide thread.

So what i get from that is i should get either a Nikon D80 or a Nikon D200. What is the difference and how much is this in US dollars?

Chris, and that's a camera I could use for a studio? how much is the kit and what does it all include? i have a Nikon N65 now and I have lenses that i was thinking i could put onto a digital Nikon but I'm going to try to sell my Nikon body and i'm debating about sell the lenses with it. what do you think? Canon vs Nikon?

Getting a Canon now would be kind of silly. You already have a Nikon so I'd suggest sticking with that. The lenses will be compatible with both a film & digital camera.

I'm a Canon shooter myself, so I don't know too much about the differences in the Nikon models...but the D200 is more of a 'pro' body. That means that it is very robust and made to handle the rigors of say, a photo journalist. If a studio environment is your main focus...a D80 would probably be good. I'm not sure of the specs of both cameras but I remember reading a review for the D80 and thinking it looked pretty good. You will want some good lenses...and that can easily mean spending more on a single lens...than on the body. Not to mention other equipment that you would want for a studio.

Check around, one of my local colleges offers a course specifically about setting up a home studio...maybe you could find something similar.

You will need to understand photography quite well...and you will need to know how to run a successful business. Some great photographers (artists in general) fail because they can't run a business. On the other hand, there are plenty of mediocre photographers thriving because they can sell themselves.

I think canon,But ive never had a nikon as I too am a beginer,but canon sems to be themost popular(correct me if im wron anyone).I dont know the specs on the nikon D80 or D200 but the only have 2 m pixel more than the EOS 350 XT rebel which in turn is almost half price.On top of that canon have released a new camera,The canon EOS 400 D.Im not sure about the specs on that either but you should definatley look at it before you commit yourself to somthing.Ill do a google search on that new canon.

Thank you both of you. Yeah, I thought sticking with Nikon would be better being i'm familar with it. Right now I do day care so I run my own business, I"m not worried about that end of the deal. I'm pretty confident there. Yeah I think a class on a home studio would be a good idea. Thank you for the suggestion. I think i would just feel better going to one. I love this forum, I get all the suggestions and encouragement that i need on here! thanks again to you all!

my .02 on the idea of a new photography business is that photography is still one profession in which you don't need a formal education to succeed. In many professions you have to be able to document an educational background before you can practice your craft, regardless of what that craft is. Like other professions, your reputation will preceed you regardless of training. Also, I'm sure you have seen in your own life that there are people who are just as clueless with a degree as without. If you are good at what you do, word will get around. I have had several people searching me out to do work for them and I have never been to school for photography (my background is clinical psychology) just based on some of the work they have seen and I do not currently attempt to market myself at all.

So, I think if you can take a quality and professional image, you can and will succeed with or without a degree/formal training.

Thank you. Where do you all buy your equipment?

Most reactions

Back