I'm looking for a mentor in Western Washington

Dinardy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, I'm a fairly new member to the site, but a long time lurker.
I'm not expecting a huge turn out, I have had many failed attempts on Craigslist. But here it goes anyways...

My name is Andrew Jones, I consider myself a hobbyist photographer. I received my first SLR, a pristine Minolta XE-7 and a hand full of lenses, about ten years ago from my father and since then... I have been hooked, my photos were overexposed, underexposed, blurry, completely blown out... but every once and awhile after sifting through the throw aways in that thin paper envelope I would find a gem, an indescribable miracle producing a smile from ear to ear

In the last year or so, or since my first daughter was born, I began to take a more constructed approach to my composition. I bought a newer DSLR, a D7000, for a more productive work pace and had at it. I believe I can make a decent picture, but I madly crave the fine tuning, the tips and tricks that could only come from a seasoned well established photographer. I'm willing to learn, I have an excellent work ethic and I'm determined to follow this dream of mine. Or at least give it my best shot.

So please, If there is anyone out there willing to take a chance with me, I am yours to nurture and mold into something better than I am today.

If you would like to hear more about me or would like to offer me a gig PLEASE reply!!!

Thank you!

There is a mentor/student section on this forum, you might look into that and see if it's something that might work for you.

Official Mentors Bio list
Official Mentors Bio list

Unfortunately none of the listed mentors are local to me... Which led me to posting this "ad" :neutral:

You might consider it anyway. The range of skill here is amazing and it's very well structured. I wouldn't see why you couldn't learn quite a lot in that manner.

Also, post some photos in the galleries. You'll get amazing feedback and advice.

Thanks ShooterJ, I agree that there is heaps of talent and wisdom right here and I suppose that is the route I will be taking.

Initially... I was hoping for a one on one for a more in depth and physical look at Photography as a business, how a successful photographer interacts with clients as well as how he/she composes the client and photo, just to be a shadow for a summer. Personally, I learn best with a teacher.

I thought I might get lucky, who knows?

You still might.. you can also check the section of the site for "Meet-Ups".. you might find someone there.

Whether you do or not, I highly recommend you get involved here at the forum. There's such a broad range of skill and specialties and a lot of great photographers who are willing to help you improve through critiques of your work.

I personally find that learning from so many different talented individuals is extremely valuable.

Thank you for the kind guidance ShooterJ

Thank you for the kind guidance ShooterJ

No problem. If you do wind up posting some of your work I'll look forward to seeing it.

Best of luck to you! :)

Join a local camera club or meet-up group! Almost all clubs have members with lots of experience who will be happy to assist you. Don't forget, that while a face-to-face meeting is nice, there's a LOT you can learn from an on-line mentor, and the program here at TPF has helped a LOT of photographers improve their skills.

. . . I was hoping for a one on one for a more in depth and physical look at Photography as a business, how a successful photographer interacts with clients as well as how he/she composes the client and photo, . . .
Working photographers, particularly retail photographers, usually have little if any time available for mentoring.
Business tasks consume a majority of a working photographers time.

12-14 hours a day, 6 or even 7 day work weeks are not uncommon.

Teachers in a book:
How to Start a Home-Based Photography Business, 6th (Home-Based Business Series)
The Business of Studio Photography: How to Start and Run a Successful Photography Studio
Photography Business Secrets: The Savvy Photographer's Guide to Sales, Marketing, and More

Doug Box's Guide to Posing for Portrait Photographers
500 Poses for Photographing Women: A Visual Sourcebook for Portrait Photographers
500 Poses for Photographing Men: A Visual Sourcebook for Digital Portrait Photographers
The Best of Family Portrait Photography: Professional Techniques and Images
The Design Aglow Posing Guide for Family Portrait Photography: 100 Modern Ideas for Photographing Newborns, Babies, Children, and Families

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Join a local camera club or meet-up group! Almost all clubs have members with lots of experience who will be happy to assist you. Don't forget, that while a face-to-face meeting is nice, there's a LOT you can learn from an on-line mentor, and the program here at TPF has helped a LOT of photographers improve their skills.

Thank you for the advice! I just joined a few meet-up groups!

. . . I was hoping for a one on one for a more in depth and physical look at Photography as a business, how a successful photographer interacts with clients as well as how he/she composes the client and photo, . . .
Working photographers, particularly retail photographers, usually have little if any time available for mentoring.
Business tasks consume a majority of a working photographers time.

12-14 hours a day, 6 or even 7 day work weeks are not uncommon.

Teachers in a book:
How to Start a Home-Based Photography Business, 6th (Home-Based Business Series)
The Business of Studio Photography: How to Start and Run a Successful Photography Studio
Photography Business Secrets: The Savvy Photographer's Guide to Sales, Marketing, and More

Doug Box's Guide to Posing for Portrait Photographers
500 Poses for Photographing Women: A Visual Sourcebook for Portrait Photographers
500 Poses for Photographing Men: A Visual Sourcebook for Digital Portrait Photographers
The Best of Family Portrait Photography: Professional Techniques and Images
The Design Aglow Posing Guide for Family Portrait Photography: 100 Modern Ideas for Photographing Newborns, Babies, Children, and Families

Wow thank you for the titles! that saved me a lot of research time.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You could try ASMP in your area (Seattle/NW chapter), see if they have events that include nonmembers; I've run across photography centers online that are in the Seattle/Portland area and a camera store in your area that has events/workshops.

I've found that sometimes even attending events/workshops/speakers etc. I've had an opportunity to talk with a more established photographer, and being able to pick their brains has given me some invaluable information and advice. At worst, I maybe spent a couple of hours that didn't end up being too beneficial but I feel like you don't know til you try - if nothing else you rule out some possibilities and pursue the ones that have potential. You never know when a one time conversation could lead to other opportunities.

Thank you Sharon. ASMP is very interesting. It has a VERY impressive list of local photographers that I have and have not heard of. Your right, networking is a powerful magic. I suppose its time to get on out there!

Big dittos to the advice already given:

* Check out the mentoring offered here. You can learn A LOT from working online with someone.
* Post images for feedback. You will get an amazing amount of advice for free if you are polite, respectful of people's time, and put in the effort
* Respond when others ask for CC. Even if you do not feel like an expert, you have a valuable opinion and your own unique eye. Studying other's images will help you "see" what works and what does not.
* Find a local meet-up
* If you still want a local, one-on-one mentor be prepared to pay them for their time.

Most reactions

Back