I'm making my wish list!

Mel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I'm saving up for my Canon EOS 20D. And my family wanted to know what they should get me!!!! Well lets see here! :) I would like to get some lenses for my camera. My camera will come with a 18-55mm lense, I really want to get a macro lense, I'm not sure if i should go with Canon or Quantaray? they are considerably different in prices. also i'm going to start my own small studio so I figure the 18-55mm would be ok for studio shooting. Otherwise I know "you" suggested going with a fixed 50mm should I get that also? otherwise 85mm, 28-80mm lenses? and then Weddings, was suggested ultra wide 17-55 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8. I'm not sure, at this point, which lenses I'll end up using the most. I also wanted to start off getting a Flash... Should i go with a Quantaray? I know nothing about flashes. QDC-800? QTB-6550U? QF30? If someone could give me some advice that would be great? and then to camera bags? Memory cards!? My goodness...... this is all soooo exciting!

My wish list would be in the 6 digit range at B&H :)

I'd suggest memory cards or camera bags(lowepro) as you can't go wrong with them ;)

Getting gear as presents can be hard...if people want to get you something...then you have to either spell it out exactly...or ask for something generic. I'd ask for memory cards...1 or 2 GB, compact flash (CF) cards.

You are saving up for a 20D? How much cheaper are they than a 30D these days? I have a 20D, great camera...but if I was going to buy one new...I'd go for the 30D...if the price was close.

For lenses...I'd stick with Canon, Sigma or Tamron. For flashes, I stick with something dedicated...so Canon flash units are probably best...but there are a few off brand ones that are OK...like the Sigma 500 Super.

If you are planning to do this professionally...I would suggest that you 'invest' in pro level gear. Sure you could do studio shots with the 18-55 kit lens...but if you are charging money...a better lens would probably be a good idea. If you are thinking about doing weddings...then you will need good quality, fast lenses. Lenses should have a max aperture of F2.8...(the kit lens at f/3.5-5.6 is way too slow for weddings).

Think about it this way...if you start with cheap equipment...you will probably have to upgrade at some point...so it will be in your best interests to start with the best gear. If, for some reason, you decide that you don't want to pursue it further...then the good quality gear will still have a good resale value. The cheaper stuff will not sell very well.

thank you for the suggestions about the bags. Also am I on the right track about the lenses? Quantaray, good or bad?

20D with 18-55mm is $1300; 30D with 28-55mm lense is $1400. so only $100 more

Personally, for only $100 more...I'd go for the 30D. There are only a few differences...but the bigger screen, bigger buffer and spot metering would make it worth it, for me anyway.

Adorama has the 30D w/ Kit lens (18-55) for $1220 right now (before Canon $100 rebate). It pays to shop around.

Hopefully I'll be buying mine in about 2 weeks :)

Big Mike said:
Getting gear as presents can be hard...if people want to get you something...then you have to either spell it out exactly...or ask for something generic.

Thats why I love the internet and email for. My wish list is a link to the store and item. No doubt what I want. And of course its the store with the best price or one I trust. So she doesn't have to shop around. I give a list of about 8-10 items and she chooses which one, or couple to get. So its still somewhat a suprise when I get it. Not knowing which items she actually ordered. But at least what she orders is what I want. No exchanging hassles or any return issues.

Most reactions

Back