I'm new here with some thoughts.

Captain Ahab

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been into this forum big time for about 3 days now. Last night I became a member and actually put a few pics up just to try it out. I am anxious to get some new equipment and start applying what I have learned in even these few days. I have looked at hundreds of shots with critiques and tried to mentally critique some before I read others. Now- with that said here's part 2 of the thought (yes I'm actually gonna get to the point soon) Mark Twain, in the book Life on the Mississippi was making an observation. (I'll paraphrase) After a while, does a doctor see a woman as a woman, or does he see a specimen of the human body with problems and defects that need curing-which is his job. Twain was wondering the same thing about the river as he was learning to be a pilot. He wondered if he would see the river as he once did...beautiful,comforting, majestic etc. or would it be an object of toil- swift, dangerous currents, snags, sand bars.
My thought/question - as I learn what makes composition, good lighting practices, the correct exposure and the like for a photo- will I let myself be emotionally affected by a photo anymore? Or will I instantly try to reverse engineer? How about your thoughts on this?- Thanks

Yep- mechanics car is always broken down (I can say that as I was a mech. for almost 12 years) Thats just it though- I don't want to lose what is emotionally a good shot to technicality. Is there any such trade off in the pro world I wonder? I see many pictures in these forums that speak volumes to me ,although they may not be technically sound. Way too deep! - just a thought trying to make an ice breaker for making new friends here.

Like everything, there are phases you go through.
In the beginning, everything is wonderful and 'oh wow!'. Everything is great.
Then you bite the apple and technical perfection is the thing - especially when it isn't there in other's work.
Finally you receive the call and feel that your role in life is to tell others how to get to where you think you are.

There is a stage above all that but so few reach it most believe it to be a myth - and that is a state of the wholly innocent which sees every picture in it's own terms and makes no judgements. Only at this point can you recognise the truly great image - and feel infinite sadness because you know that such are very few and far between. ;)

I know what you mean to a certain extent. Sometime I try to analyze the elements and think too technically. I dont know how to answer this really...

So what happened with Mark Twain?

what will happen with you? only you can dictate that. yes, it's in your control...it's called mental capacity. the ability to hold two dichotomous thoughts/ideas in your head at the same time, yet still function emotionally.

personally speaking, every bit of technical information is lodged in my brain; i do not find myself thinking about it. the 'technical' being rooted in my subconscious allows me to continue to see things as they are. allows me to forever be excited over opportunities. allows me to freely think and feel.

technical becomes second nature after one takes the time to learn the technical aspects.

the passion never vacates, nor goes on a mini vacation, if you approach the process correctly.

what will happen with you? only you can dictate that. yes, it's in your control...it's called mental capacity. the ability to hold two dichotomous thoughts/ideas in your head at the same time, yet still function emotionally.

personally speaking, every bit of technical information is lodged in my brain; i do not find myself thinking about it. the 'technical' being rooted in my subconscious allows me to continue to see things as they are. allows me to forever be excited over opportunities. allows me to freely think and feel.

technical becomes second nature after one takes the time to learn the technical aspects.

the passion never vacates, nor goes on a mini vacation, if you approach the process correctly.

I completely, absolutely agree with this. Altho I still have to consciously focus on technical issues, my intent is to achieve technical adequacy in the pursuit of that emotional perfection.

Because technical perfection is so hard to achieve in itself, it is too easy to get sidetracked into seeing technical perfection as THE goal - viz perfectly framed, focussed, exposed images of little interest - the imaging equivalent of gearheads who care more about the lens than the image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back