Im new to film photography

kjgregor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well new as in I now have a slr film camera.... Canon FT QL with lens and would like to take a online course on how to use it... But can only find digital SLR courses.... Can anyone help? Thank you Kristi

Here is the owners manual for your camera. It tells you how to use it and
it's online. :D

See, I told you this was the place to be:lol:

Do not waste your time with online courses. Find a local photographer and get them to help you. Go to the link in my signature and check out the TPF mentoring system, of which I am a mentor. Read a couple of good books such as Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson or the little yellow book from Kodak on better techniques. Feel free to PM me if you like or to email me if I can help in any way.

I would suggest looking for an older copy of John Hedgecoe's book "The Manual of Photography". It will tell you everything you need to know about film photography and should only cost a few bucks on amazon.com or alibris.com.

Are you new to photography in general, or just film?

I mean, if you're already competent with a dSLR - film should be no problem.

The only difference is the recording medium - everything else is the same.

The only 'film only' problem I can think of that you may not be used to is reciprocity failure... (Basically, on long exposures, you need more exposure to get the right exposure.) Google it for a better explanation.

So - if you are competent with digital equipment, you already know what you're doing. If you're new to it all, digital or film doesn't really matter. Just read some photography guides. You'll be able to tell which parts don't apply to film. (Obviously, you're not going to be checking any histograms or LCDs...)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back