I'm not trying to start a business or anything..

Dionysus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just wanted to see if I could make money on the side selling the pictures I've already taken. I have a smugmug account, and I put my best ones online available for sale. How would I go about publicizing that site, and getting sales (other than family and friends)? How would one get the word out about this sort of thing?

On the portrait side, I've already done some free sessions with friends who in turn have gotten me some business through THEIR friends, so that side of things is not really an issue.

I'm just trying to find a way to sell the photos that I've already taken when I'm out and about doing this for myself, as a hobby...without having to open up a booth and print out everything.

Its really hard to make money this way, but that shouldnt discourage you, you should do all you can. Try going to places like coffee shops and see if they will let you hand your art in there.

Also, you might want to right-click protect your smugmug images and maybe not enable people to see the original size. I can basically download all your images at full size and high resolution. Just an fyi....

limiting your download size is a good first step certainy otherwise people will just print off the images for free if they can get access to the fullsized versions - limit their access to between 600 and 1000 pixels on the longest side and then they can only print a postcard image if they want (and they can always print screen on that if you disable right clicking - or if they are keener they can search their internet temp folder).

After that coffee shops, cafes, libraries, hairdressers - hit a few towns and see if any want to display your images - go with framed examples in hand to be ready if they say yes and to give them an idea of what you have to offer (always speak to the manager as well - so phone ahead to make an appointment). That can get you some free publicity - just make sure if things go well that you don't oversaturate an area.

how do i protect and/or limit viewing size in smugmug? thanks for the tips though, i really appreciate it.

You change those settings in the "customize gallery" menu.

When you go to your page, there should be a customize button under each gallery. Click that and scroll down to the "security and privacy" sub-section. Then, enable the "Protected" option which right-click protects your image. Also in this sub-section there is a place to select your largest size that people can view, just select what works for you. Hope this helps!

Hmm, how do you limit the size of an image on Flickr? Or is the "large" size too small to print a reasonably sized print anyhow.. Just curious.

you could also go looking for a co-op gallery in your area. I would think that quality shots of local interest would get accepted.

do be aware that most galleries will need to have you submit a portfolio of images for review by an acceptance committee.

good luck
jerry

Most reactions

New Topics

Back