Im posting this for Feedback and Critique

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Club competition that I dont overly care about but I got some new filters and this is what Ive been doing. The theme is the elements, Earth, wind, fire, water. Course there not really elements but what do I know :bull_head:. Would people who take these type long exposure images give me some pointers in general too.

DSC_9202.jpg

The third blade does not contrast enough with the white clouds...a different sky would have created a better result.

Since you're okay with edits, just for the heck of it I cropped out the road and the left-hand side windmill, then rendered the whole thing in black and white. Just my opinion (worth what you paid for it) but I like the result.

photoforum725b.jpg

A nice image, but lacks impact. If you have a darker ND filter, I'd try a longer exposure to get some movement in the cloudd to make a dramatic sky, and try for a 360 degree blade pattern.

I also tried an edit, but it was a bit crude with the third blade.

20200725-DSC_9202.jpg

The third blade does not contrast enough with the white clouds...a different sky would have created a better result.

I know and I thought I could pull something more out in post but I wasnt able to. I was looking at and other similar ones but I had cut my own nose off on these too, I guess Ill know better the next time.

DSC_9190.jpg

Since you're okay with edits, just for the heck of it I cropped out the road and the left-hand side windmill, then rendered the whole thing in black and white. Just my opinion (worth what you paid for it) but I like the result.

View attachment 194997

I had looked at a black & white but im not very good at rendering them, thanks for the edit.

A nice image, but lacks impact. If you have a darker ND filter, I'd try a longer exposure to get some movement in the cloudd to make a dramatic sky, and try for a 360 degree blade pattern.

View attachment 194998

I was trying shots with a 10ND but the closer I got to 1 second the resulted in the blades disappearing.

View attachment 194998

I was trying shots with a 10ND but the closer I got to 1 second the resulted in the blades disappearing.

Ah ... I see .... challenging. Yes, it's not like an illuminated ferris wheel. If you can go back, perhaps there's a time of day in the evening when the sun is hitting the blades, but the sky is darker? Or at least a difference in color between turbine and sky, so you could use a colored filter during a black and white conversion?

For a competition I just feel it needs more instant impact - dramatic lighting or a dramatic perspective.

View attachment 194998

Ah ... I see .... challenging. Yes, it's not like an illuminated ferris wheel. If you can go back, perhaps there's a time of day in the evening when the sun is hitting the blades, but the sky is darker? Or at least a difference in color between turbine and sky, so you could use a colored filter during a black and white conversion?

For a competition I just feel it needs more instant impact - dramatic lighting or a dramatic perspective.

It would be nice if they had lights on the end of each blade but all of them that Ive seen just have a red light on top of the motor. Because the motor itself rotates to make the blades face into the wind its near impossible to get a consistent shooting time. Plus there laid out east west and the dont run in the morning.

I like this one a lot. The sweep of the road draws you in to the turbines and distant mountains. The composition is very fine. Try raising the contrast and saturation a bit for more impact.

I only remembered that version afterward so I never consider it. I only converted from raw to jpeg before posting it up just to give an idea. The first one is what I entered and Im a little disappointed now but what the heck.

It would be nice if they had lights on the end of each blade

go get a $20 laser pointer and shine it at the blades....you look close enough. Hit that at night with a long exposure...something like that. Just brainstorming. Might get something good out of it, might not

View attachment 194998

Try under exposing it a little in order to bring out the clouds and blades.

I like your thinking for the theme. I agree with most of the critique offered. Maybe a long exposure at sunrise with the clouds moving but the windmills not would solve your various issues? I really like the composition of that 2nd photo

Most reactions

Back