I'm sooooo CONFUSED, someone please help me

Hi everyone. I have a Nikon d3300. I just got a new 50mm lens. I have been studying ISO, f stops (aperture) and shutter speeds. But I am very confused about the focus distance indicator.

It's like alien language to me. I understand that it has something to do with hyperfocal photography and something to do with making your photos sharp from up close to far back. I also understand you have to use math (I'm really horrible in math)

Do I have to use this? And to keep from using it do I just control my focusing from camera LED screen? The only thing I understand is that you can move it to infinity (that symbol that looks like a sideways 8) for an object at night that is far away (like the moon).

Please help me, it's confusing me. I am still trying to understand lens. My camera came with a kit lens that I kinda understand but it doesn't have the distance indicator on it. The distance indicator confuses me. Thanks in advance.
You've already got some very good advice. I would just add that the bigger the number of the f-stop, the greater the depth of field. That means that shooting at f2.8 would give you far less depth of field than shooting at f11 or f16. Also, you will get less depth of field with telephotos than with wide angles. At f2.8, if the tip of the nose is in sharp focus the eyes might not be, depending on the lens.

Most reactions

Back