I'm Stuck for Ideas...

jackieclayton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
mominmarianas.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A coworker just asked me if I would take a couple of pictures of him and his dog this weekend. His wife is in Europe and he wants to send some in a frame for her to put at her desk at work (they are moving there in a couple months). He said "frame" so I'm thinking he wants more than a "snapshot"....

ok, i can do people, and i can do dogs (i got 2 of my own, fun subjects sometimes cuz they are crazy little rats) but i'm really not a huge fan of posing with your pet but this guy is and I have no idea what kind of ideas to do.... we live on tropical island so we can go outside to the beach and stuff... but does anyone have any ideas or shots they can share that doesn't look like the posed walmart picture that single creepos get with their dogs in santa hats?? lol. thats all i can think of when I think of posing with your pet...

this is not paid or anything, just a favor i'm doin for a friend. He's got a lab, so its kind of a large dog.

Thank you in advance for the feedback, i'm just stumped... i've googled, flickered, and found nothing interesting...just the same ol' studio poses with a guy who looks like he still lives with mom or this woman who looks like she works in politics all plain and lame and they are sitting on the floor with their dogs and them both looking all weird and stuff like these people haven't gotten laid in like 20 years, if ever.... ugh...

Last edited:
... oh gah, i just found a site that has a nerdy looking guy and his two terriors and all three of them are wearing the EXACT same knitted christmas sweater... :puke:

You'll want to get the ocean in the background- they're going to miss it.

If you could find a park bench where the dog could be laying with it's head on his lap with the beach and ocean going off into the distance about sunset you might have a winner.

Frisbee on the beach; both with the dog just taking off and the frisbee still in the frame and with the dog returning with it in his mouth. Mid morning of afternoon for this.

The upshot is to be doing things that the dog and owner would be doing that would also evoke fond memories.

How about something like this :lol:

448608630_yumHe-L.jpg

i love doing pets, and right now that seems to be my current focus due to lack of subjects in other areas. i too looked at site after site on pet (and people and their pets) photography until i found this one:

Dog Photographer Sharon Montrose Dog, Cat, Pet Photography

i now use that as my reference as her images are just outstanding. she has a nice people and pets section under her portfolios link.

maybe you can find an idea or two from there that you can emulate or make your own. :)

Perhaps a shot of him laying down on a hammock with the dog next to him and its head resting on his torso with the ocean in a nice creamy bokeh in the background.

great ideas everyone, thank you so much!! :hail: Chammer, excellent website, thanks for sharing, thats more for what i was going for! this site is definitely going on my bookmarks bar! lol! and GSGary, i like that shot... those "candid" looks are what i'm going for, thanks for sharing that as well! I guess all that was coming to mind was nerdy guy in christmas sweater and i was having a photo block on creativity! I appreciate the inspiration... i'll post some of what i get this weekend!

Perhaps a shot of him laying down on a hammock with the dog next to him and its head resting on his torso with the ocean in a nice creamy bokeh in the background.

i like that idea!! we live in a condo now but i think i still have my hammock stored somewhere in one of my closets, i'll have to search and pull it out to bring on the shoot! thanks for the tip!!!

Most reactions

Back