I'm telling you

mysteryscribe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
retrophotoservice.2ya.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We need a gallery with rules that say DO NOT COMMENT UNDER PENALTY OF DEATH. Something along the lines of, I'm just putting this here to show you what I do, and I don't give a crap what you think. If you can't say Awesome Dude then stay out.

It would at least keep me from being confused about whether to comment critically on a shot or just avoid the thread all together. I'm one of those insufferable know it alls, I guess. It would at least give us a heads up not to offend the poster.

Well, we HAVE the Snapshots (and Bloopers) section, and more often than not, there is NO REACTION whatsoever to photos posted in that section, despite a good amount of views. Is that the gallery you are looking for, maybe?

Maybe we just need to get the word out, "if you don't want to hear it you should put your shots there." Just kidding about that. sorta

People don't always think they shoot snapshots, but still don't REALLY want to hear anyone else's opinion.

I wonder, however, why anyone who is so totally not interested in anyone else's opinion becomes member of an internet forum site to display their pictures? They could just leave them in their shoebox...

Well, I know what you mean. I think... just be yourself. Hopefully your honesty will be appreciated by at least 2 out of 10. LOL Anyway, what's the fear? That people won't like you? Eh... it's the internet after all. People probably won't like you if you're too nice either. haha.
So either way you lose. ;)
Say what you feel will help the poster understand what's been done wrong and what can be done to make it right in your opinion and you've done what you can. If they don't like it they can get offended over something someone said to them on a message board, or try to remmeber it and take it into consideration in the future.
Who did you tick off now? ;)

who me no one.... I was just saying at least a lot of the people you never hear from again they obviously wanted a pat on the back not suggestions. Some you do and you just know they wish you had kept your mouth shut. I don't thing I upset anyone on a personal basis but hell I do that without even knowing it.

We need a gallery with rules that say DO NOT COMMENT UNDER PENALTY OF DEATH. Something along the lines of, I'm just putting this here to show you what I do, and I don't give a crap what you think. If you can't say Awesome Dude then stay out.

It would at least keep me from being confused about whether to comment critically on a shot or just avoid the thread all together. I'm one of those insufferable know it alls, I guess. It would at least give us a heads up not to offend the poster.

Ahhh ... The I Walk on Water Gallery (Aka the "A*****E" Gallery.)

I second your suggestion.
Gary

I personally don't really care what comments are made about my photos, who makes them, or what they have to say. If somebody says something nice, I try to say thank you out of politeness. If somebody critiques them, I generally just ignore it.

Sounds high handed and egotistical, but it is not. I can see what the flaws the the photo are without somebody else telling me. I know where whites are blown out, where focus is not as sharp as it needs to be, where I missed the moment slightly or where I have not maximized the proper depth of field. I can see that for myself...

The thing is, the photo I post is the best I could do at the time given my technical ability, vision, equipment, the weather, etc. The person who is making the critique wasn't there when I took the picture, and doesn't know what the light was like, what the animal was doing, what vantage points I had available to get better angles, whether there were a bunch of biting flies tearing into my legs, or whatever else happens on an outdoor shoot.

I don't re-invent my pictures in PhotoShop, so if I missed one, then I basically missed one. If somebody wants to edit my photo to show me what he/she thinks I should do with it, that's fine by me... I prolly just will ignore it anyway.

About the only thing that I do pay attention to is if somebody crops a photo better than I do, to give me a better composition. That I watch.

But hey, I am weird. My opinion on this subject really doesn't matter either.

The thing is, the photo I post is the best I could do at the time given my technical ability, vision, equipment, the weather, etc.

You are very privileged then ... I usually come home and look at my images hitting my head uttering again and again "Alex, you idiot, you could have done that better!" :lol:

Believe it or not I agree with the man above me. I tend to crop when I edit aond maybe lighten or darken it. The main reason is just so that the poster can see a different way of seeing the subject.

Not to the other part, I have gotten critique like, "there is a tent flap growing out of his head." Yeah he was walking by the tent and I was more interested in him and his costume than the tent flap at the time. Besides it isn't supposed to be a portrait, I didn't pose him. It's meatball photography. Do what you can with what you got.

Now that said, I'm guilty of doing the same thing. Telling somebody something that like the man said is obvious and I wasn't there so I don't know what his situation was. So there is something to be said for rethinking critique.

So now there are two kinds. One don't do this next time, type critique or
this is the image have tell me how to fix it. Both are valid I guess.

I think it;s funny when soneone says, I already know about the tent flap coming out of that guys head and then someone says, 'nice picture but there's a tent flap comiong out of that guys head. LMAO

I know what you are talking about.

Remember saying "I know this is a bit grainy since it was severly underexposed, but what do you think about it apart from that."

And then you get some one-line replies saying "This is way too grainy dude!".

I think it;s funny when soneone says, I already know about the tent flap coming out of that guys head and then someone says, 'nice picture but there's a tent flap comiong out of that guys head. LMAO

Well I will say.. I don't even know how anyone understands me!

And Alex, as usual you make me :D smile. You're funny.

Most reactions

Back