I’m with Thom Hogan

JTPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
D850 andD500 are still king in the FX/DX world and the new batch of mirrorless bodies from any brand does nothing to change that.

D850 andD500 are still king in the FX/DX world and the new batch of mirrorless bodies from any brand does nothing to change that.

Being a D850 shooter, I'm kind of biased, but I'll agree :D

Mirrorless is just the new fad in my view.

It does make sense for those who are buying smaller sensor mirrorless cameras as they offer you the convenience of a point and shoot with the features, interchangeable lens and controls of a DSLR. Where they are not doing fullframe mirrorless I start to see less and less reason to consider them a viable option as the mirrorless system means that sure you save on the mirrorbox; but that's really all its got going for it. You have reduced battery performance due to the need to run live-view all the time; you've reduced feedback through the viewfinder for any action or fast panning; you've not really saved on weight much because the lens has to cover the same sensor size as a regular DSLR for fullframe*.

Personally I still want a mirrorless, but one with a smaller sensor so that it makes sense as a lighter pocket camera with controls/features/interface I'm more used too. I don't see any reason to swap a regular DSLR for a mirrorless of the same sensorsize and performance.

*Honestly any weight saving going on there I wager is either smaller maximum apertures and/or general weight saving through new technologies that would happen for the next version of a regular DSLR lens of the same focal length anyway

Agree with overread, I was wowed by the A9 when shooting with it at a sales evening. But was equally wowed by the D5 when I had 2 hours with it at a sporting event. For the same money, I would probably get the D5.

Well if he said it, it must be true. Seriously though, does it really matter?

It does make sense for those who are buying smaller sensor mirrorless cameras as they offer you the convenience of a point and shoot with the features, interchangeable lens and controls of a DSLR. Where they are not doing fullframe mirrorless I start to see less and less reason to consider them a viable option as the mirrorless system means that sure you save on the mirrorbox; but that's really all its got going for it. You have reduced battery performance due to the need to run live-view all the time; you've reduced feedback through the viewfinder for any action or fast panning; you've not really saved on weight much because the lens has to cover the same sensor size as a regular DSLR for fullframe*.

Personally I still want a mirrorless, but one with a smaller sensor so that it makes sense as a lighter pocket camera with controls/features/interface I'm more used too. I don't see any reason to swap a regular DSLR for a mirrorless of the same sensorsize and performance.

*Honestly any weight saving going on there I wager is either smaller maximum apertures and/or general weight saving through new technologies that would happen for the next version of a regular DSLR lens of the same focal length anyway

I think the key phrase you used was, “swap a regular DSLR for a mirrorless”. I think it’s gotten to the point to where these systems are very comparable. Can you really say that the D850 has something so much better than a *fill in your favorite full frame body* that it would warrant the swap (new lenses/accessories)?

@dustin decided it was worthwhile to make the swap (I think he went from a D800 to an XT3 correct me if I’m wrong). He may have a good opinion since he actually made the move.

I bought a Sony A6000 when they came out. I have the 16-55 and 55-200 lens for it and they work great. I mostly use it for travel and it is perfect for that. The A6000 is about as mirrorless as I plan on getting.

BTW, do you own and shoot enough samples of each group to validate Tom's "findings?" Just asking...

This is, imo, a silly pixel-peeper discussion. discussion.
One uses the best one likes and wants to or can afford to make images.
Once past a certain point, and all modern cameras are past that point, it is much more the skill and artistic insight of the photographer that makes a difference rather than the mostly trivial difference between bodies.

The mirror box is the smallest piece of the puzzle. The real difference is the distance from the sensor to the lens. Cannon went from 44mm to 20mm. Per the Sigma CEO, and many others this will offer a radically new capability in lenses. The largest change is they will be able to make faster and larger aperture lenses significantly easier, or previously impossible.

A secondary effect, is WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) which lowers the technical skills required; therefore makes it easier for people who are more art centered to utilize the camera capabilities, and for the generally less talented (e.g. me) better able to see what we have composed and depend less on our fragile memories/imagination.

Tim

I think the key phrase you used was, “swap a regular DSLR for a mirrorless”. I think it’s gotten to the point to where these systems are very comparable. Can you really say that the D850 has something so much better than a *fill in your favorite full frame body* that it would warrant the swap (new lenses/accessories)?

@dustin decided it was worthwhile to make the swap (I think he went from a D800 to an XT3 correct me if I’m wrong). He may have a good opinion since he actually made the move.
I agree.. I would think it'd probably be more of a slow progression towards mirrorless in general; I wouldn't necessarily expect people to drop everything to move to mirrorless. (Of course, I'm assuming there will be a few tech savvy people that will do that...)

Most reactions

Back