IMac Vs. PC...

Digital Matt said:
I don't see this as being any different in Windows. I don't have to search 11 directories deep to find anything, and all the stuff I need to access regularly is on the desktop, or in a folder on the desktop.

On a pc, your applications are all in the folder called "Program Files", unless otherwise specified. Guess what? There are also folders called My Pictures, and My Music.

I think what he was refering to was all the resources of an application are located within a single entity or directory.... much like Linux and Unix which keep everything localized. The entire contents and resources for the application are located under a single directory tree. This "directory tree" is actually hidden away from view.

For example.... I want to install MACjournal.
) I download it and unzip it. What is presented is a single icon called MACjournal. If you pull up a terminal and do a listing it is listed as "MACjournal.app".
) A user simple drags and drops to any location they want to... anywhere.
) Double click on Macjournal.app and presto the application starts and everything is self contained.
* You change your mind and want to move it? Simple drag it to another location.
* You don't like it and want to delete it? Simple delete that one icon.
* Wanna move it to another machine? Simple copy it to another machine.
* Hey.. you wanna back it up... Burn that single entity to a CD-R.

For Windows....
) I unzip it and generally presented with an entire directory tree of stuff.
) I have to run a setup program which goes through several screens.
) The setup program proceeds installation. It might make changes to system32, program files, registry, etc.. All its resources are not localized.
) Double click on the application and it starts up.
* You change your mind and want to move it? You can try but now certain things might not find the new location
* You don't like it, you can't simple delete it. Its not all in one location thus you have to go and uninstall it with unwise or something similar
* Wanna move it to another machine? I'll have to find the original installation disks and perform an install on the new machine
* Wanna back it up? How? Simple backing up the application directory under "program files" will not capture changes to system or registry.

So far, I haven't heard anyone mention something great about a Mac, that a PC doesn't have. It just comes down to what you want. Both platforms are equally capable and customizable.

To start...

* Ability to coexist out-of-the-box in a mixed environment. FTP (server/client), NFS (server/client), SSH (server/client) for linux/unix interoperability. Share support for Windows via SMB/CIFS.
* A command shell with a rich language. A shell that is far more capable than "DOS" cmd.exe.
* Journaled file system.
* Lots of GNU support.

.. basically most the advantages of UNIX/Linux environment with a workable GUI interface. Thats just the stuff thats in the "back end" that most users might not realize. I haven't even gone into the stuff that is right in front of the typical user.

I have to admit though... I don't have experience with released prior to the current mac os x. Perhaps Mac os 9 was quite a bit less.

usayit: Thanks for replying. Everything you've said makes sense, and could be considered an advantage for the mac. In everyday use though, does this really matter if my program has registry entries, or has to be installed or uninstalled? For all practical purpose, 99% of the program resources, meaning configuration files, plugins, etc, are in one single folder, within the Program Files directory.

I have never in 10 years installed a program into Program Files and needed to move it. If I want to install it on another machine, I just grab the cd and install it. Worst case scenario I have to uninstall it and re-install it.

* Ability to coexist out-of-the-box in a mixed environment. FTP (server/client), NFS (server/client), SSH (server/client) for linux/unix interoperability. Share support for Windows via SMB/CIFS.
* A command shell with a rich language. A shell that is far more capable than "DOS" cmd.exe.
* Journaled file system.
* Lots of GNU support.

While it's true that Microsoft doesn't offer maximum compatibility with other platforms, it has it's own server platform, and has a corner of that market, therefore making it able to coexist out of the box with it's own family of products, which really does not limit you in terms of functionality. Yeah, you have to play with other windows machines if you want it to happen out of the box.

I don't see how the command line functionality really has anything to do with this discussion.

Most of us here are designers, or photographers, and we want a stable system that will run our applications well. At this point, either platform does that well. Most of the things that I see people favoring in macs are conveniences that, if you can afford it, are nice, but don't put it in another class above PCs, imho.

For some of us, it's more than just a convenience, but the way we work. While some people love a GUI, for me that's a convenience. I want to be able to have lots of command line tools and control. Things like that don't put one OS in another class over another, but they can make a big difference to someone. When I'm woking the way I like to, a GUI is just a nice way to arrange my terminal windows.

I know what sold me on Mac, Hot Corners. The way that I can clear the screen or see all my open windows with a quick move of the mouse is something that I cannot live without anymore.

Unimaxium said:
Ok I guess I better chime in here.
Also, I forgot to mention, that now that macs have intel chips in them, they are in fact capable of running windows natively as well. You can use either Apple's Boot Camp software or Parallels Desktop software to run Windows alongside Mac OS on your computer. So now when you buy a mac, you're not stuck to the OS if you really don't like it (but how could you not love it? ;-) )

I love PC's. I love macs. I Love PC's a bit more. Did i mention my PC runs both windows XP and Mac OSX? It has run windows OSX for about 1.5 years now. So people with macs running windows, welcome to the club.

Why i love PC's. First off, go to the store, buy all the parts to build a Mac. The feeling of putting together a computer that companies sell for $4000+ for only $1300 is priceless. Do mac's run SLI? Not that I'm aware of. Do mac owners even know what SLI is? Maybe not.
I run an AMD PC that runs mac OSX, I didn't need the intel macs to come out yet. What I think you should do is go out and build your own PC. You'll get amazing performance at an affordable price and the satisfactoin of knowing that the machine that your working on was built with your own two hands.

~Mike

Been there done that....
Emulator, Vmware, or the hacked version of OSx86. Neither are really feasible unless you interests are more aligned with computers than most looking for a good image processing solution out of the box.

Same goes for building your own PC. Anyone can always build custom machines that will out do any current retail offerings.. it doesn't really say anything except that its possible and not focus of Apple's mac market nor intention. I still prefer a Sun made AMD based server over a similarly spec'd budget one. One could also take a inexpensive car, throw in money, time, and effort to make it run just as fast as exotic cars several times the final cost... but its still an econobox and I'd still rather have the exotic.

All the Windows/Linux servers in my lab are built but as an out-of-the-box solution, I still prefer the PowerPC as my workstation. Again... its not only the hardware that I prefer but the operating system, Mac OS X and the all-in-one box'd solution.

I'm sure some mac owners know know / heard of SLI...(careful making such generalizations). Similar line of thinking was used in the design of the graphics adapter that renders the 30 inch Cinema display. Different purpose and technology but the same line thinking in their design.

Nvidia SLI is a technology driven by a completely different purpose... gaming. Mac has never been a gaming platform and doesn't really even market to it. So whats the point...... doesn't say anything less of Mac hardware... you just pointed out that PC's are a better gaming platform (I agree). I personal feel that gaming consoles are even better.

BTW, Nvidia isn't the first to work with SLI idea either. Its been around for quite sometime but was never cost effective to go to market until now....

Either way... a properly spec'd Mac or PC will serve someone looking to do image processing just fine.

If you have got your Appple -enjoy it. I have been an AppleII then early Mac user since they came out and thought I knew how to fiddle most things - then system X and a linux system fooled me and found that I just have to let the machine get on with things. Having to use Windows based machines - mainly to sort out friend's or work problems, I find the file system clumsy but I am eductaing them to put icons on their desktops for quicker access for things or files they want. Windows is getting nearer to the mac interface, so if you are a windows user - why change. If you want a neat slick package that will get on and do the job, but look neat in the living area - get the iMac.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back