image crop

tkphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm using the Canon dReb XT. When I want to order a 4x5, 5x7 or 8x10, I loose a good portion of my in-camera crop. Why is that and what can I do to "fix" it? I'm thinking of buying the Canon 5D...would the full-frame sensor illminate that problem?

Thanks,
tk

A full frame 35mm still won't give you a 4x5 or 8x10. Full frame 35m is a 4x6 or 8x12. That's has always been a problem, even with film. You have to learn to leave room on the edges for the difference in aspect ratios. When I print my 35mm negatives, I print 8x12 on 11x14 paper.

Welcome to the forum.

r-brian is right.

Your camera (and most other DSLR cameras) shoot in a 2:3 format, the same as 35mm film. This works well for 4"x6" prints...but other 'standard' sizes are not the same aspect ratio.

Just about any image editing software will let you crop your images to the correct ratio. Photoshop even has presets in the crop tool pull down, for the common print/frame sizes.

Thanks guys! I appreciate your help!

What Mike said - in Photoshop you have the option of setting size of your photo...I go in under "image size" and set the measurements to whatever I want the pic size to be in inches. At that point you can use the crop function to select the part of the photo you want to remain...it will limit you as per the parameters you put in. I prefer this than the arbitrary crops of the machine/camera store employee.

Good luck.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back