Image editing software

DxAxN

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im looking at getting some software to edit pics...I am looking at the Adobe products and as a beginner I think Photoshop elements 8 is more than enough for my intended use... I dont think I need CS5.

So my question: is Elements pretty user friendly and not to difficult to learn with. I dont want to get something I will "outgrow" as I progress...or hope to progress I should say.

Lightroom...I knew there was another program I was over looking...I'll go check it out

Judging by the price I would say Lightroom is a more advanced program than elements...but the comment of Lightroom is more than enough makes me think Elements is more advance. Or was it a comparison between LR and CS5.

Yeah, I would say Photoshop is the best and would be what I would ideally recommend. However, I would definately take Lightroom over Elements. I have heard very good things about Lightroom.

I was reading up on Lightroom and it seems its intended more for raw files and when editing jpeg files some of the features are not available and may cause some distortion to the file. I havent taken any pics in the raw format, so maybe I should do that first. Sounds like you have more range and freedom to edit raw over jpeg anyways.

download a free trial and see what fits your style.

Lightroom is a RAW file converter and photo database. It has very limited editing capability. Don't think of Lightroom as an editor.

Elements is targeted at the consumer market. It has modest editing capability and like Lightroom it has database functions. The consumer market orientation of Elements is troublesome.

Photoshop is the editor of choice, just one problem: $$$$$$
(Also note that Photoshop does not provide database features.)

GIMP is an open source free software editor. It's not as elegant as Photoshop or Elements but it is capable and has the essential features for professional editing.

Joe

get LR3. You wont regret it. The learning curve is not that hard.

Just spent an hour in the Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery reading...if I wasnt unsure what to get before...I am now :blackeye:

Lightroom is really not for editing photos. As many have said it is a RAW converter which lets you make some adjustments to the photos. You really need Lightroom + Photoshop or Lightroom + Gimp etc.

you might also check out coral painter pro. It gets great reviews and isn't an arm and a leg in cost.

Lightroom edit photos! If you are saying image sharpening, noise reduction (or addition), spot removal, distortion fix, etc. not photo editing, I dont know what editing is anymore. Really, you can pretty much remove a pimple on someone's face using only lightroom. You can do a lot!

Lightroom is really not for editing photos. As many have said it is a RAW converter which lets you make some adjustments to the photos. You really need Lightroom + Photoshop or Lightroom + Gimp etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back