Image Licensing Pricing Help

LeftyRodriguez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.leftyrodriguez.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I normally sell prints and have no problem with pricing these. However, I just received a request for a quote to exclusively license one of my photos for CD packaging. Unfortunately, I have no idea what to ask for, price-wise. Anyone else have any experience they'd be willing to share?

Depends on the contract. Is it exclusive for a week? exclusive for a year? Do they wish to buy All Rights?? I mean this all makes a difference. If you can't make money on the image elsewhere for a long period, then you need to make a higher amount off of this one sale. You could also quote a lower price in exchange for a regionally exclusive right ( if this is not going to be a worldwide or nationwide distribution ). As for specific price, that would have to come from you. Typically, a decent magazine would pay you a couple hundred dollars for a color image used on the interior (assuming its a full page or close to it. ) and that is typically not exclusive rights. Covers usually command the most money, and since this is the cover of a CD, I would think it would command a bit more also. Will a credit line be given? Good promotion can be worth giving a cheaper rate. There are probably people on here more experience in this than I, but this should atleast give you some food for thought to start formulating your own ideas.

Thanks for the ideas (I'm doing the Truffle Shuffle to show my appreciation)...I hadn't thought of things such as time periods or regional licensing. Maybe some more people will chime in.

Depends on the contract. Is it exclusive for a week? exclusive for a year? Do they wish to buy All Rights?? I mean this all makes a difference. If you can't make money on the image elsewhere for a long period, then you need to make a higher amount off of this one sale. You could also quote a lower price in exchange for a regionally exclusive right ( if this is not going to be a worldwide or nationwide distribution ). As for specific price, that would have to come from you. Typically, a decent magazine would pay you a couple hundred dollars for a color image used on the interior (assuming its a full page or close to it. ) and that is typically not exclusive rights. Covers usually command the most money, and since this is the cover of a CD, I would think it would command a bit more also. Will a credit line be given? Good promotion can be worth giving a cheaper rate. There are probably people on here more experience in this than I, but this should atleast give you some food for thought to start formulating your own ideas.

This just about covers it all for you. Discuss deals with your customer and find the middle ground with them. It might be worth charging a little bit less to get a much bigger comeback. If you have your details anywhere you will be able to add where your work has been used and that your work was asked for. This will mean that more people will look towards you for images in the future. One hand washes the other right? There is always a bigger picture to be seen! :)

As mentioned by the others, it all depends on what you are selling.

What region is it going to be used in? US, N. America, the americas, world?

Exclusive? Fine. For how long? And in what regions other than the one where it is being used?

CDs. Fine. No LPs? Don't laugh, quite a few bands are doing LPs. Posters for the advertisement of the CD? Magazine ads for the CD? Etc, etc.

Who is the band? No need to tell us. What I mean is, how well known are they? Some people I work with a cover would bring in quite a few thousands while others will only net me a couple thousand...

Who are you? See above. It applies to you to.

What is the potential value of the image if you don't sell it to this band?

Lots of things to consider and, unfortunately, there is no set way of calculating the contract price. Part of it is how much can you get away with? On the other hand, yes, it is sometimes worth charging less on one deal to get more deals but it rarely is the case when dealing straight with a band. I made such a deal recently with a friend who is starting her own label because there will be more work coming from the label even if her bands disappear...

And although it is not the case here, something you may want to think about for future possible work: is the shooting session included in the contract. I usually price and contract them separately.

Visit www.asmp.org

On the left of their home page click on 'Business Resources'.They have information about use licensing, including use licensing terms definitions, and recommendations for industry standard commerial license pricing software.

The way retail photography pricing is done, is nothing like the way commercial photography pricing is done.

For example the term "All Rights" is usually very bad for the photographer, but very good for the buyer, since it poorly defines exactly what rights are involved.

Most reactions

Back