Image Quality Digital Rebel xTi vs 5D mkI

casylum

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have the option of either upgrading my 70-200 f/4 lens to a 70-200 f/2.8 is used or upgrading my camera to a 5d (used) from a digital rebel xTi.

What would provide a larger difference in image quality?

70-200 f/4 ----> 70-200 f/2.8 IS
400d ----> 5D mkI

Thanks,
Steve

Welcome to the forum.

The 70-200 F4 gives you outstanding image quality. The F2.8 version gives you a larger max aperture, which can help to get faster shutter speeds but AFAIK, the image quality is pretty similar between the two.

The 5D should be a big step up from the XTi.

If those are the two options on the table then I would also agree with Big Mike.
the 70-200mm f4 and f2.8 give very similar optical performance and its also said that the f4 is a bit sharper at f4 than the f2.8 is at f4 -- but of course we are really pixel peeping to get these differences.

Unless you are finding that you want that extra stop of light from the f2.8 then the 5D would be the better upgrade. Remember though that the 5D is fullframe so that is going to be a big shift from using the 1.6 crop sensor of the XTI - so I would give the 5D a try to see how it looks and works for you.

I dont know this from experiance but from the dxoptics review it looks like the 5d could give an extra stop because the sensor handle noise at higher iso speeds better:sexywink: If it was me I would get the 5d and still reap the benefit the faster glass would have given you with out even buying it:thumbup:
In addition your going to gain a bit of head room with the added dynamic and tonal range.

The 5D will not take EF-S lenses as well. If you're shooting with the 18-55 kit lens, it won't fit on the 5D.

Most reactions

Back