Image Size

MissCream said:
Forgive me but isn't this something you should know already if you have clients?

It most certainly is...this is what you call, "I got a big camera, I'm a pro" kinda thing

Is that why many of the new, instant, technically illiterate shooters are being classified with the term - fauxtographer?

What happens when a 'client', who knows even less than the shooter, wants to make a 5:4 or 7:5 print from a 3:2 image?

MissCream said:
Forgive me but isn't this something you should know already if you have clients?

Oh I don't have clients yet...I have been taking classes for about 6 months now. I guess I shouldn't have worded it the way I did. I am SLOWLY working my way to being a photographer. I thought by posting a question like this in the beginners section would make it an acceptable question. I'm not a fauxtographer by any means. I have a nice camera and some gear With hopes to blossom into one. I have always had a passion and now that I am a stay at home mom it gives me an opportunity to explore the world of photography.

EPPhoto said:
It most certainly is...this is what you call, "I got a big camera, I'm a pro" kinda thing

Ouch. :/ thanks :(

KmH said:
Is that why many of the new, instant, technically illiterate shooters are being classified with the term - fauxtographer?

What happens when a 'client', who knows even less than the shooter, wants to make a 5:4 or 7:5 print from a 3:2 image?

Another ouch :/

Tomasko said:
What would you want to do about croppping?
If you don't like certain portions of your photo, you crop them out (or you want to repair some composition problems). You can't do that without loosing those pixels you cropped out. More you crop, the smaller the print size OR the worse quality of the print. But it all depends on what do you intent to use those photos for. It is different story when you use them just for some internet gallery and different when you want to print them in big size.
That's why I have suggested, that you should keep original files in case you ever need those "missing" pixels again.

Thank you for the info!!! :)

You cann CTRL + to reduce the size, well resulution. But it soulds like your wanting to resize them before opening in photoshop, I now use Lightroom for 90% of my editing, much much faster and all image are displayed as fit to screen as standard.

Easiest viewing size change is imo alt+scroll in/out.

I also assume that the customer knows next to nothing about print, so I keep the full res psd-file in storage and let them order through me, then I can print with correct DPI for whatever size the customer wants and include an icc-profile when printing. Giving a customer the full-res files on a CD doesn't help him/her or you, you don't want your images to be seen by potential clients when they are printed with a consumer multimedia printer, and your clients deserve a good product.

Noxire said:
Easiest viewing size change is imo alt+scroll in/out.

I also assume that the customer knows next to nothing about print, so I keep the full res psd-file in storage and let them order through me, then I can print with correct DPI for whatever size the customer wants and include an icc-profile when printing. Giving a customer the full-res files on a CD doesn't help him/her or you, you don't want your images to be seen by potential clients when they are printed with a consumer multimedia printer, and your clients deserve a good product.

Thank u!!!! I think I just need to figure out all this ratio stuff :/ I'm just trying to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I even begin this process. I know I for sure don't want to be in the fauxtographer category! :)

You'll also want to learn about and understand:
  • photo editing (parametric/non-parametric, raster/vector, scene-refered/output referred)
  • post production techniques and workflow (from image ingestion to final output use type)
  • image file management (browser and/or database)
  • color perception
  • color management
  • color bit depth
  • PPI (pixels-per-inch for digital image files)
  • DPI (dots-per-inch, if you make your own prints because it is a printer specification and differs between printer types. DPI is not the same/nor equivelent to PPI)
  • dithering and print size
  • color spaces
  • color space conversion
  • gamma correction and digital color tones
  • edit working space color space considerations
  • computer display types and calibration
  • soft-proofing
  • ICC profiles
Prints are very different from a computer display, because a print is a reflected light medium, while a computer display is a backlit, or projected light, medium.
Consequently, images destined for print get edited differently than images destined for electronic, or backlit, display.

Last edited:
ryan_caldero said:
YO! Hey chicky... I am also armed with a 50D and I have the same problem when viewing them.. Simply select "Magnifying glass" tool and "right click" the image and select "fit on screen"... Now if you wanna save the image to a smaller resolution just do the following: IMAGE>IMAGE SIZE>UNCHECK "resample image">Change "resolution" from 72 pixels/inch to 300 pixels/inch>CHECK back "resample image"> and change the Width - Height to the desired size....
Well thats what I do.... Hope that brings some sunshine to your dark day your world of photography!

Yippee for 50D's!!! :) so what's the standard size you would make all images for a client?

Thank u!

I do a standard size of 5x7 or 7x5 or 4x6 for print and for web (facebook, email, etc) I just do a standard size of 425x638 for portrait orientation and 640x427 landscape, its really up to you.... Keep them 50d's pointed in the air!!!

KmH said:
You'll also want to learn about and understand:

[*]photo editing (parametric/non-parametric, raster/vector, scene-refered/output referred)
[*]post production techniques and workflow (from image ingestion to final output use type)
[*]image file management (browser and/or database)
[*]color perception
[*]color management
[*]color bit depth
[*]PPI (pixels-per-inch for digital image files)
[*]DPI (dots-per-inch, if you make your own prints because it is a printer specification and differs between printer types. DPI is not the same/nor equivelent to PPI)
[*]dithering and print size
[*]color spaces
[*]color space conversion
[*]gamma correction and digital color tones
[*]edit working space color space considerations
[*]computer display types and calibration
[*]soft-proofing
[*]ICC profiles
Prints are very different from a computer display, because a print is a reflected light medium, while a computer display is a backlit, or projected light, medium.
Consequently, images destined for print get edited differently than images destined for electronic, or backlit, display.

Thanks! I'll make this my checklist and work on gaining knowledge in each category :) I'm just trying to learn. Absorb like a sponge before I even think about having clients. I have taken 5 classes so I'm pretty knowledgeable behind the camera. I'm just starting to dive into whole image/print/edit world. I had hoped that this forum could help with some of my questions. Ya know? I never meant to come off like a I gotta camera now and bam time to make money kinda person :/

ryan_caldero said:
I do a standard size of 5x7 or 7x5 or 4x6 for print and for web (facebook, email, etc) I just do a standard size of 425x638 for portrait orientation and 640x427 landscape, its really up to you.... Keep them 50d's pointed in the air!!!

Thank you!!!!! Much appreciated info!

KatyLee said:
Ouch. :/ thanks :(

I apologize...it was the way you came off earlier posts. Due to your earlier posts, but I will retract my previous statement!

EPPhoto said:
I apologize...it was the way you came off earlier posts. Due to your earlier posts, but I will retract my previous statement!

Thanks :) I'm sorry it came off strange. This was my first post and I thought I was wording the correct way. I really am just trying to gain knowledge. I'm not the photographer that has received money from a client and needs to know how to make something happen that I have promised and made seem like I already knew how to do.... Ya know?

Most reactions

Back