Image size

officersdr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What size would be size for me to size for "image size" on my DSLR. It's a sony a100. I am using it for portraits, weddings, sports....only some will be made into larger pictures. I have a small, med or large setting.

I had it set to large and I'd have to decrease it to 15% to send it via email. Plus I have a 2GB card and could only handle 450 pics

ONLY use large...you may miss too much if you get a great shot and it is small or medium!

- resizing for email means going from 3 or 4 MB to 300 KB ...usually.
- get another card...they are cheap
- get another battery and a separate charger...you will need them.

I would shoot large or even in RAW...and buy a 4gb card. Sometimes you can get great deals at www.mydigitaldiscount.com. They had an 8GB for $70 (mail in rebate) not too long ago. It's not there anymore, but it may pop up again.

Shooting in RAW adds another step to editing, but is worth it to me.

I would shoot large or even in RAW...and buy a 4gb card. Sometimes you can get great deals at www.mydigitaldiscount.com. They had an 8GB for $70 (mail in rebate) not too long ago. It's not there anymore, but it may pop up again.

Shooting in RAW adds another step to editing, but is worth it to me.

There is an arguement for more smaller capacity cards so that if any fail you've only lost a portion of your images. However, it's always a good idea to have more memory regardless of whether you have few high capacity cards, or several low capacity ones.

There is an arguement for more smaller capacity cards so that if any fail you've only lost a portion of your images. However, it's always a good idea to have more memory regardless of whether you have few high capacity cards, or several low capacity ones.
Hmmm..I never thought of that, but it makes perfect sense.

I can fit about 280 RAW images on my 4gb card, which is enough. I also have a portable 80gh HD I can plug my CF card straight into to dump pictures, so storage isn't really a problem....I'd just hate to be limited to only 140 or 70 RAW images!

Large. Whether you shoot RAW or JPEG (an entirely different discussion) ALWAYS shoot large.

Definitely large as everyone else said here. Memory is definitely cheap. www.newegg.com often has deals. I know I personally have 8GB on 4 cards (4GB x 1, 2GB x1, 1GB x2), having smaller card sizes helps organize my pictures too. If I go out for a couple days and don't have time to offload my images.

I prefer to stay with 1 gig cards for this reason. In 7 years of shooting digital, I have had 2 cards fail. Both were older 512 meg cards, and I was able to recover the images. But, I agree the smaller the card, the less lost images when a card fails. Not if, but when. Flash cards will eventually fail, just like anything we use that's man made, it will eventually fail.

I can fit about 280 RAW images on my 4gb card, which is enough. I also have a portable 80gh HD I can plug my CF card straight into to dump pictures, so storage isn't really a problem....I'd just hate to be limited to only 140 or 70 RAW images!

wow! which models of portable HDD's can do that?

iv got the ipod adaptor which essentially lets you do the same thing, but once i used it and it missed out a couple of photos, so i dont trust it anymroe :(

wow! which models of portable HDD's can do that?

iv got the ipod adaptor which essentially lets you do the same thing, but once i used it and it missed out a couple of photos, so i dont trust it anymroe :(

There are a lot of portable media players that let you transfer stuff off your data cards and use them as storage. Plus they usually have a really nice screen for viewing your photos. For instance: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?oid=49164278
Creative and some other companies make similar less expensive models. Cool for watching movies and listening to music on the go as well. :wink:

I can't imagine going back to shooting in JPEG mode, now that I've been using RAW for over a year. Do your self a favor and pickup atleast 1 x 8GB card. I got both of mine off of Ebay for just over $100 CAD for an 8GB Samsung 150X OEM Compact Flashes. Just make sure if you Ebay memory to get it from a US source. ACDSee Pro is also a great program for intro level RAW Processing. Cheers.

With one gig cards at about $25, just carry a card wallet and a half dozen cards. And think, we shot 35mm for years and thought 36 exposures per roll was a lot.

With one gig cards at about $25, just carry a card wallet and a half dozen cards. And think, we shot 35mm for years and thought 36 exposures per roll was a lot.

Ya, except when shooting a F3H with an MD-4H motor drive that shot 14 frames per second... didn't last too long then.

I also agree to save to large. You might need to crop it later and a small image often won't be big enough.

Try and set up a workflow so once you import your photos, you can keep them in one location and treat them as film negatives. Make different copies for smaller versions, web version, different edits etc.. so you can always go back and find your original if you need it.

When you are sending your pictures for email or even online, you need to resize your image as well as reduce it. There's nothing worse than receiving a very very large image in my email, especially someone with a small monitor. usually a max width or height of 800 pixels is sufficient. If i'm sending to my grandma who's running 800x600 I will resize them to a max of 600-650 pixels.

For what its worth I agree 100% on spreading out to multiple cards, especially if their economy cards. I bought a 4gb when I bought my d80 and never fill it up. With good 1gb cards going for 25 bucks I would rather swap out every 70 shots and know my others are safe. It only takes but 5 seconds.

I usually shoot RAW (I love the PP) but my next choice would be large. If you're a cropaholic like me you'll be able to go to town without as much loss in quality.

Most reactions

Back