Image Stability/New Camera Advice

Gizzygiz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new digital camera and am torn between a point and shoot compact camera with a great zoom, or upgrading to a Digital Canon Rebel (my preference).

I take lots of landscape, nature and wildlife (large and small critters) photos, as well as the occasional action shot.

I've had a film Canon EOS Rebel X for years and absolutely love it. Have a few lenses, and have been told i can use these lenses on the digital version. However, my concern is that there would be no image stability (?????) unless i buy all new lenses (which i'm not willing to do at this time).

Anyone tried old lenses on the digital canon? Do they take good photos of wildlife without a tripod (and without changing settings since i'm a beginner)???

Though i've used my Rebel for years, it's mostly been "point and shoot" type photography, with the occasional fiddle with settings. I like that i can do both, since i do intend to learn how to use a SLR properly (so want a camera that will grow with me). However, in the meantime, i want something that i can "point and shoot" quickly and get great results (my film Canon took incredible photos and was dummy-proof).

Headed to Africa in February which is why i want something simple (point and shoot), but something that will last me for years when i finally decide to learn how to use the manual settings on the camera.

Any advice much appreciated :) Thanks :)

I say if you already have the lenes then get the Digi rebel. They will work fine. I still use an old EF 28-80 with my 30D. If you want a camera that you can grow into don't go with a point and shoot. Just my 2 cents.

Point and shoots don't have great zooms. The DSLR is the way to go. Every time.

Welcome to the forum.

Absolutely get a DSLR...many times better than 99% of any 'point & shoot' digital. To me, the most important thing is that a DSLR has a much larger sensor and very little shutter lag.

Yes, you older Canon EF lenses will work on any digital EOS camera. Keep in mind that there will be a 'crop factor'...which will make the lenses 'feel' longer than they do on your film camera. That is great for telephoto stuff, like shooting animals.

Yes, it is a disadvantage that...to get IS, you will need to buy specific (& expensive) lenses. However, on a DLSR, you can actually use higher ISO settings like 800 & 1600. P&S digi-cams, if they even have those settings...are practically usable.

digital does not need more image stabilisation than film does. if you took good images on film without a stabiliser, then you will do so with the digital version.

only one of my lenses has IS ... which is great sometimes, but most of the time it is just convenient but not crucial. If you had an SLR before, go for the DSLR is my advice :)

Gizzygiz said:
I'm in the market for a new digital camera and am torn between a point and shoot compact camera with a great zoom, or upgrading to a Digital Canon Rebel (my preference).

I take lots of landscape, nature and wildlife (large and small critters) photos, as well as the occasional action shot.

I've had a film Canon EOS Rebel X for years and absolutely love it. Have a few lenses, and have been told i can use these lenses on the digital version. However, my concern is that there would be no image stability (?????) unless i buy all new lenses (which i'm not willing to do at this time).

Anyone tried old lenses on the digital canon? Do they take good photos of wildlife without a tripod (and without changing settings since i'm a beginner)???

Though i've used my Rebel for years, it's mostly been "point and shoot" type photography, with the occasional fiddle with settings. I like that i can do both, since i do intend to learn how to use a SLR properly (so want a camera that will grow with me). However, in the meantime, i want something that i can "point and shoot" quickly and get great results (my film Canon took incredible photos and was dummy-proof).

Headed to Africa in February which is why i want something simple (point and shoot), but something that will last me for years when i finally decide to learn how to use the manual settings on the camera.

Any advice much appreciated :) Thanks :)

Yeah, I don't usually weigh in on these "what camera" questions, but you are a prime candidate for the Rebel. You've got lenses and experience, you will love these new digital cameras. Have fun.

Thanks so much to all of you! I'd pretty much decided on the Rebel and all of your thoughts and answers cemented my decicison :) I bought the Rebel XTi today, and now can't wait to charge it up and start using it. :D :D :D

Congrats! You made a great choice. Have fun, and if you get the chance, I'd like to (and I'm sure everybody else would as well) see some pictures once you get shooting with it. :)

I'm not sure about DSLR's but i know the Canon S3 has IS and is very good, i'd say its the best high end point and shoot available. You can get 52mm or 58mm adapters and use many filters and lenses, wide angle and telephotos'. Plus, it has a 12x optical zoom, hook up a 2.2x Raynox tele and u got a ~26x optical zoom. i dont know much about DSLR's but this does a pretty awesome job for the price!

Most reactions

Back