Image Stabilization Question

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by KuklaPup, Jan 5, 2013.

1. KuklaPup

KuklaPup TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have been searching through the Web to find an answer to this question, but to no avail. Maybe someone can help me. I have a Canon system where IS is in the lens, so it's easy to see when it's working. But, in the Olympus mirrorless IRC system with in-body image-stabilization, how does one know if IS is working? More specifically, if I hold the shutter button half-way down for a more than a couple seconds to get proper focus, exposure and composition, does the IBIS turn off or does it stay on? Any insights would be most appreciated.

2. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Not being able to see that in-the-body IS (mechanical stabilization, or sensor-shift stabilization) is working is one of the major disadvantages of in-the-body IS.
    Stabilzation in the lens is known as optical stabilization.

3. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I can tell you with my Sony SLT-A55 (it has an EVF) it does not activate the stabilizer while viewing ... it appears to activate only when the still image is taken (or while video is recording).

Not sure if that is the same with the Olympus or the Sony NEX.

4. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit

IBIS in most Olympus models occurs at the time of exposure. In other words, the sensor is stabilized just moments before the image is recorded. It will not stabilize the image during composing. This is true for many other implementations (Pentax and Sony too) of IBIS. You just have to be confident that it is working by seeing the recorded images.

Specifically for the Olympus OMD E-M5, there is an option to turn on IBIS while the shutter button is pressed half way. This WILL stabilize the image while composing (just as you experienced with Canon IS). I turn on this option when shooting at longer focal lengths to help stabilize handheld during composition (so that handshake doesn't make me dizzy lol). It does consumer more battery though.