Image Stabilizer?

vonDrehle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
While doing all my research on lenses I decided I should get a fast tele lens in order to get some good sport shots at night. The lens I have decided to get is of course the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L. My question is the IS model worth the extra ~$560? (Using B&H's USA Price)

My main use of this lens will be sports but I will also be doing some nature and hopefully some animals. For the sports shots I will always use a Monopod and for the nature shots I will more than likely use a tripod. But there might be a time where a furry little creature runs out in front of me and I do some hand held shots. I'm saving for this lens so I wont get it for a while but I want to be sure which model I am getting.

Also don't know if this helps or not but I'm asking for a EF 400mm f/5.6L USM for my Birthday and Christmas present so with luck I will have it in November. Its main use will also be nature and sports (Track mainly).

I have only looked at Canon so if you know any fast lenses that would work for me that would help too. Trying to keep it under $2000.

Thanks for your help.

I don't know for sure...but I have heard that IS is not all that helpful for moving subjects. The idea is to give you the ability to get sharp images while hand holding at lower shutter speeds. It counteracts camera movement...not subject movement.

Although, there may be plenty of times during a sporting event when the subject is not moving much...and the IS will help to get a crisp shot.

I've heard different things about using IS on a tripod or monopod. Some say it helps...some say it does not.

I've got the 17-85 EF-S lens with IS. Big Mike is right, IS will not make any difference with a moving subject. All it does is dampen any camera movements.

I can't see how it would make any difference on a tripod, as there should be no, or very little camera movement to correct. As for a monopod, there may be a bit more movement, so it might make a difference, although I'm guessing if you're using it for sport, you'd go going for as short an exposure as possible, so it's effect would be minimal.

It really comes into it's own handheld.

Colin

yep. if you have good light it wont matter anyway, you just need a fast lens, and 2.8 is fast for that range. if you were doing weddings or something, that IS would be almost necessary, but for animals and sports, it doesnt do that much.

Most reactions

Back