Image stablization

explore.thru.lens

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Dear community members,

Is it really worth to pay extra for image stabilisation in a zoom lens. I am looking at 70-200 lenses for canon mount. IS/OS/VC lenses cost more than their non-* counterparts.
I am a hobby photographer and my intention is general purpose/kids indoor/outdoor photos.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

At 200mm there can be a lot of camera shake, unless there is lot of light and high speed you will see shake and possibly miss shots.
Try one in a store if you have a chance, turn the IS off.

Canon v2 has some other perceivable benefits such as IQ, contrast, color rendition etc.

They're very heavy be warned.

What type of shooting will you be doing with it? Or is it more of a general purpose lens? If it will be used more for still photography, have you considered a tripod? One thing I wish canon did was to put IS in the bodies. I own a 75-300 noon IS and haven't had issues shooting without a tripod, but I make sure enough light is getting in for a faster shutter speed.

Thanks for your inputs.
So does it mean that if I restrict myself to very good light conditions (sunlight or well lit indoors) needing faster shutter, then I practically can do without IS ?

VR / IS / OS / VC (or whatever letters the manufacturer uses) is not a set-and-forget feature. It's best used like any tool..... only when it's needed.

Turn it off when you don't need it, turn it on when you do.

Most of my lenses do not have VR/IS/OS/VC.
I learned a few years ago to become much more steady with the camera ==> Stability - making yourself a tripod versus using one

I can actually get a sharp photo at 2 seconds! It's hard, but it's all about learning about breathing and being steady and supportive.

The stabilization allows on to not worry about stabilizing the camera, it also allows for slower shutter speeds due to less than adequate lighting at normal ISOs. But at higher shutter speeds (normally at 1/500 and above) and use of tripods it's recommended to turn off the VC/IS/etc.

It all comes down to your settings for a proper exposure. If your shutter speed is on the verge of being too slow, and you cannot compensate with a larger aperture or higher ISO then the OS/IS can help. It's just another tool in order to help acquire an image.

Thanks for your inputs.
So does it mean that if I restrict myself to very good light conditions (sunlight or well lit indoors) needing faster shutter, then I practically can do without IS ?

I only own one lens that has IS. I can't remember the last time I used it. No, IS is not needed but certainly a nice to have.

Generally, VR/IS/OS/VC is ineffective at shutter speeds faster than 1/500.
As mentioned VR/IS/OS/VC should only be on when it can be effective.

Dear community members,

Is it really worth to pay extra for image stabilisation in a zoom lens. I am looking at 70-200 lenses for canon mount. IS/OS/VC lenses cost more than their non-* counterparts.
I am a hobby photographer and my intention is general purpose/kids indoor/outdoor photos.

Depends entirely on what you shoot, and in what sort of lighting conditions.

In good lighting you can use higher shutter speeds and you don't really need stabilization. Likewise even in poor lighting you can use a monopod or tripod instead to avoid camera shake.

So if you need to be able to shoot in poor lighting handheld at low shutter speeds then yes, stabilization can be very useful.

If not, then it won't be all that useful. The caveat being that older lenses without stabilization are not always optically as good as some of there newer counterparts. This isn't always true depending on the lens but it is something to keep in mind

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

It also depends on what you are shooting regardless of the lighting. IS is useful for slow speeds taking photos of still objects. It does absolutely nothing to help you when shooting moving objects. That takes higher shutter speeds to freeze motion.

Dear community members,

the newer 70-200 IS lens are optically better (sharper) than the older non-is models but there are some bargains if you don't need IS - e.g. shooting sports at a high shutter speed

I would suggest you rent/borrow these and see for yourself which one you need/can live with.

P.S. If you live around me I have a non is 70-200 F4 you can try.

It is worthwhile for me, perhaps not for you or others. I won't buy a lens without it because if a lens has VR I can turn it off when I don't need it. If it doesn't have VR I can't turn it on when I do need it.

Most reactions

Back