Images we love and why!

bapp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just thought a few people may wish to post images of other photographers work and discuss why they like them

I'll get the ball rolling with this one by photojournalist John Kaplan.

http://www.fctcnow.com/images/kaplansmoking.jpg

This is one of my all time favorite photographs for many many reasons. I'm not going to say all the reasons now as I thought some may like to discuss this before I do.

P.s Sorry for the small image size it was the largest I could find.

What do we think of it??

I don't want to put you off bapp and I understand that you're doing it for the best of intentions, but I may as well be the one to draw your attention to the 3rd bullet in the FAQs. Simply put, the forum doesn't allow its members to post images that aren't their own here. Links to images are fine where they are shown in their original context, but not the images themselves. Apologies for any inconvenience etc. etc.

http://www.photo-lucidity.com/pic-66.html

The relationship of youth and age is there, but I live on a Indian reservation, A highly matriarchal society. I look as this and see a clan mother looking at the future of her people, knowing the hardships she herself has faced and seeing that they as a society will continue despite the hardships ahead long after she has passed.

You're right, it is a bit small, but visually striking nonetheless. The boy's face seems to be lit by a shaft of light from the top left, creating a sense of movement in the smoke, and his cigarette is pointing in that direction. The brighter side of his face and the shaft of light form an attractive triangular shape, but there is also a sense of things radiating from the centre, kind of like the rays of the sun, which seems very strong.

Where is he? Dark interior, flagstones, lit by a high window? Surely he isn't smoking in church..? I love his gaze - hard to say how old he is, more than 7 and less than 12 - but he has the self-confidence of someone much older.

You're right, it is a bit small, but visually striking nonetheless. The boy's face seems to be lit by a shaft of light from the top left, creating a sense of movement in the smoke, and his cigarette is pointing in that direction. The brighter side of his face and the shaft of light form an attractive triangular shape, but there is also a sense of things radiating from the centre, kind of like the rays of the sun, which seems very strong.

Where is he? Dark interior, flagstones, lit by a high window? Surely he isn't smoking in church..? I love his gaze - hard to say how old he is, more 7 and less than 12 - but he has the self-confidence of someone much older.

Nice work Thom, the image is taken from a series of images called Russia's ruined youth. In which Kaplan follows this boy and a Number of others in St Petersburg.

This shot... "[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Sergei: The Airport is His Home[/FONT].[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Sergei Mayorov, 8, has been alone on the street in St. Petersburg, Russia for nearly three years. He insists on smoking American Marlboro cigarettes, which cost the equivalent of two days average Russian wages. He steals or begs to gather money to buy them, then gives them away"[/FONT]

The whole image is dark and upsetting but captures this boys life and emotional state perfectly. What makes the shot for me is the railings in the background. They remind me of a child's merry-go-round. The fact that this boy clearly has no innocence anymore and no notion to play or do anything child like is obvious in this image. Very powerful stuff.

To check out the rest of the series click here

Here's my fave by the fabulously talented 17 year old Joey Lawrence:
ru.zooomr.com/photos/thomashawk/2768666/

Just recently discovered this Kid..... Is he still 17? I know he is young by the recent picture on his Blog.

His work is amazingly detailed and quite unique with some interesting concepts. I am not a huge fan of the extreme PP he uses tho.

But stunning work to look at and absolutely amazing considering his age!! I didn't know my arse from my elbow when I was 17... Some say I still dont :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back