Impact on Business?

Richard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.raeelle.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This question is for the professional photographers...

I was wondering what kind of impact you are seeing or expecting since the DSLRs are in an affordable range for many consumers. I got my D40 back in February this year and when I joined this forum there were not many D40 owners. Now 8 months later I see many new members with the D40, it is booming. I know if you are a great photographer with plenty of experience it will show in your photos, but I wonder if more people will have that friend or family member shoot their wedding because they want to save money, not really understanding the knowledge that a professional brings to the wedding.

This is an issue that is much older than the D40. The highest selling DSLR is probably the Canon Digital Rebel, or it's successor the Rebel XT. I'm sure that the XTi is on it's way and the Nikon D70, D50 & D40 are all right up there as well. And I'd bet that the majority of these are being bought by amateur photographers...the soccer moms and Uncle Bobs.

I haven't been a shooting professionally for all that long....but I would say that this certainly has changed the wedding photography market. The cost of the cameras alone makes many people think that they produce great photos automatically. "Uncle Bob has an expensive camera, get him to do it"

However, the established professionals that I've talked to...really don't worry too much about it. There are still plenty of paying clients in the higher end of the market. It's the low end of the market that this is hurting. Also, I hear that it used to be easier for a pro to pick up small jobs. But now, few people bother to hire a pro for smaller jobs.

Econ-101, there will always be something. ;)

The Speed Graphic crowd was ticked when the Medium Format cameras came along. Then the Medium Format group didn't like the 35mm set. Then came Video and the guys trying to sell movies with people who couldn't act and then Digital and Oh My, digital got affordable!

The biggest selling point about wedding photography is the piece of mind that the bride gets in knowing that it will get done and be done properly.

After she decides that she won't stand for any gaffes it's just a matter of price.

Like Dad said...."Cream rises to the top, don't matter the shape of the bottle".

I'm surrounded by P&S and XT's every show, business is up from last year by 27%.

Check out Big Mikes stuff.....he knows too.

I only do wedding photography on the side as part of my small business I own with very little advertising, most business has been word of mouth. I dont charge very much since wedding photography isnt my main income. I get a nice steady pay check from my photo journalism where I work. One more week until I go over to Iraq to do photo journalism and im excited.

I think it should be noted...that the whole 'digital' thing has opened up the market a bit. Maybe it's because so many people are digital/computer savvy (Photoshop etc)...and that is now a large part of wedding/professional photography.

Photographers can now set themselves apart with their editing skills. They still have to be competent shooters...but they need not be outstanding. I guess you could say that this has always been the case (Ansel Adams had great 'editing' skills). But the editing skills & tools are more accessible today.

There are way more amateurs running around with cameras and there are also more semi-pro shooters as well. People who do it part time and/or don't make their entire income from Photography (Of which I am one). I think this is impacting the lower and maybe middle of the market...but as has been said, the cream rises to the top. Skilled and talented photographers don't really have to worry about putting food on their table...there is still a market for high end photography.

I have had plenty of people ask me. Mind you they did look at my photos first, and they were also the type not to save money, but to be too broke to hire a photographer to being with. If they didn't get someone at my price or less they simply wouldn't get one. I do know the feeling though. People these days see an SLR of any type and assume you're pro.

I am a staff photographer at the local paper and we are all very busy. To the point of hiring more and more freelancers. We have even been asking the interns to stay longer. I do not think that is the norm. I speak with photogs in Boise and they are slow. It is really hard for me to say. My freelance biz is steady. I would do better if I did not keep messing up jobs. I see little indication that affordable photography is affecting the market I work in. Have to say I have no idea what goes on in the portrait/wedding field.

Your point is valid. All it means is that the tougher the competition gets the harder we have to work.

Big Mike made a good point in that the Adobe savvy can work wonders. Add the question; are people accepting poorer quality photos? I think that is a whole other topic.

Love & Bass

It may have an effect on retail photography. It doesn't affect commercial photography or photojournalism at all. Photography requires skill. Owning a camera doesn't affect skill.

So start the thread :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back