Import photo - software recommendation

gogetit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, first post here, I'm looking for a software to import my photos from memory card to hard drive. Here's what I'm looking for: 1. Thumbnails preview of the photo before import. 2. Ability to check/uncheck photos to import 3. MOST IMPORTANTLY: Ability to group photos into multiple groups and name each group [for example, 'Rock Concert', 'Wedding']. 4. Import photos in subfolders that are named with date and the group name. [for example: C:\...photos\2010-11-Rock Concert, C:\...photos\2010-11-Wedding] My key feature is to be able to group photos and name each group individually in the a single import session. I'm using Lightroom 3, and its import capabilities are lacking what I'm looking for, so I would prefer a separate program to perform that. Is there any hope?

I use Lightroom 3 and I can do all of that except for maybe subfolders by name AND date. I have always just imported by date so I don't know about that, but everything else I actually do.

Why would you have Rock Concert and Wedding images on the same memory card?

As I understand it Lightroom 2 or 3 can do exactly what you would like it to do, if you use collection sets and smart collections.

In all likely hood so could the software that came with the camera. Might give that a try before you go buying something new. Besides it's FREE!!!

Thank you all for the replies [and I'm sorry the first post came as one paragraph]. I'm using Lightroom 3, but unfortunately it cannot import to multiple named folder. Actually, Elements 8 can do that, and if I could only use the download module of it, that would great [I really don't need the whole app]. But that doesn't seem possible. Using Lightroom 3 means running Import for each folder separately. And the application not that quick and responsive, even though I'm using very fast and high-on-memory computer. Adobe being Adobe. Meanwhile I ended up writing some scripts to do the work I need.
Why would you have Rock Concert and Wedding images on the same memory card?
This usually happens when I'm on a long trip, so same card can hold few sessions. Or when I shoot 2 models for 2 different sets on the same day. Or sometimes, after a day of shooting, on the way home, I spontaneously stop and shoot some people or buildings. I normally don't see a reason to switch cards for that, and I just use the one in the camera. And when I import them to my PC, I don't want all of them to file under the same date [like all apps support], but I prefer different folders with different names.

Have you tried using Microsoft Windows?

Right click, New Folder 2010-11-Rock-Concert.

Go to your memory card, left click the first one in the series, hold down shift, left click the last one, right click, cut, paste into the new folder.

Repeat for the other photos.

Go to your memory card, left click the first one in the series, hold down shift, left click the last one, right click, cut, paste into the new folder.

Sure. I open my photos folder [double click], right click, choose New, click, folder, click. Type the date, then the album name, then double click on the folder. Then I copy. Then I go to my backup folder, again, right click, New, click, folder, click. Type again, and copy again. Then again to my external drive. Windows is very helpful, no doubt. Anyway, like I said, I wrote a nice script, in which I simply select photos, click Win-C on the keyboard, and then just type the collection name. 3 folders are create automatically, opened, files are copied, original files are marked not to be copied or shown again. CRC check is performed. And files are imported to Lightroom 3. All with a simple keyboard shortcut. Thanks for all the replies.

Sure. I open my photos folder [double click], right click, choose New, click, folder, click. Type the date, then the album name, then double click on the folder. Then I copy. Then I go to my backup folder, again, right click, New, click, folder, click. Type again, and copy again. Then again to my external drive. Windows is very helpful, no doubt. Anyway, like I said, I wrote a nice script, in which I simply select photos, click Win-C on the keyboard, and then just type the collection name. 3 folders are create automatically, opened, files are copied, original files are marked not to be copied or shown again. CRC check is performed. And files are imported to Lightroom 3. All with a simple keyboard shortcut. Thanks for all the replies.

Hopefully my post didn't come across as too sarcastic, because it wasn't meant to be. I have seen MANY-a people not look at the obvious. They take the software their camera came with and think its the only option. I personally spent a few months trying to find a software package that achived my photos the way I wanted..... ultimatly, never being happy. Low and behold... copying from the SD card to my hard drives was the easiest and most straight forward approach.

...This usually happens when I'm on a long trip, so same card can hold few sessions. Or when I shoot 2 models for 2 different sets on the same day. Or sometimes, after a day of shooting, on the way home, I spontaneously stop and shoot some people or buildings. I normally don't see a reason to switch cards for that, and I just use the one in the camera.....
That is not a best practice, and accords the probability it will eventually bite you.

...This usually happens when I'm on a long trip, so same card can hold few sessions. Or when I shoot 2 models for 2 different sets on the same day. Or sometimes, after a day of shooting, on the way home, I spontaneously stop and shoot some people or buildings. I normally don't see a reason to switch cards for that, and I just use the one in the camera.....
That is not a best practice, and accords the probability it will eventually bite you.

Thanks. My intent was not to get feedback on my workflow or open a best-practice discussion. I understand that some people enjoy sharing [and showing] knowledge, especially when it relates to how other people live or work. The process of criticism makes one feels better, so opinion is often given even when not asked. This is fine and I respect those flaws in human nature. Cheers.

Most reactions

Back