importance of orginality

maggamoo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm in the process of opening my own studio. Actually I'm doing side work to build my name, and client base, then I will open my own studio. I know how important a name can be, and I want to make sure I get just the right name.

I've been researching for weeks, and I've come up with a few names I like, but everything I think of is already being used by another studio. My question is this: How important is the originality of your name? Does it really matter if someone half way across the US has the same name?

I understand you want a name that easily coincides with domain name. But, literally every name I've come up with is taken. I've been reading so much about Copyrights, Trademarks, and Trademark infringements that I've scared myself. If you use a name, logo, phrase, anything that is too close to a registered (or non-registered for that matter) trademark, audibly or visually, you can be sued.

How does anyone come up with an original name? Or does it even matter?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Heather

I'm sorry for any spelling errors my computer will not let me spell check!

I'm pretty sure... (you'd have to look into it) but you are pretty safe as long as they are not in the same industry as you. I'd stay away from Starbucks, Burger King or JCPennys as your business name though! lol

Many photographers use their own name and put photography after it. I'd be more concerned about building your brand and skills than the actual name.

thanks for the feedback. I am definitly concentrating on building my self up right now. I have a degree in photography so I'm confident in my work (most the time). But I wanted to get some business cards out, and maybe some flyers to the upcoming senior class, and I feel I need my business name to do that. Around here, once people know you by a name it isn't easy to change it. I've looked into all sorts of names, even my own, but when you google them they are taken. Even Heather Hayes Photography. I'm just worried about causing a fuss.

Hmmm I guess it depends on what type of photography you do then. I don't think it has to be all that origional.

Years ago we own a different DJ company before I got into photography and it was called SpinnerSound... there was a company that was called SoundSpinner. We didn't know about eachother until one day one of their clients contacted us and we both were very confused.

So it happens. Try your best to come up with a different name and make sure no one in that area has the same name so people aren't mixing the two companies up all the time.

Thanks, for your imput. That was my plan just to pick a name, making sure no one close has, and go with it. I will figure out the domain name when the time comes. Thanks so much.
Heather

Call your local town/city hall or maybe your state government. There are probably some laws rules about name registration....and what you can or can not do with a name that is already used.

It might be as simple as registering with a more detailed name, but then just doing business with a shorter, easier name. For example, you could be "Heather Hayes Photography of Rensselaer"...but then do business as HH Photo...or something like that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back