impromptu portrait.

Picksure

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My mom wanted a pic of grandson #6. The dreaded sailor suit. The sun was too bright on the west side of the living room, so while she was setting up on the other side of the room, I snapped a quick one. No flash, no backdrop, just snapped. Other than being over exposed in spots, it came out the best of all my trys.(first attemt at this.)

1752cbc7.jpg

Other than being cropped(the stupid photographer took it landscape) its right off the camera.

I really like the expression you caught on your son. Do you have any photo editing software? The over exposure is not beyond repair. If you do not have a decent method to fix it, you can pm me and I will give you my email address. I am a sucker for grandma's getting good pictures.

As far as composition goes try not to centre subjects. Try using the camera as a light meter, get right up to the persons face with camera on auto mode, find out what the settings are, then copy the settings on to manual mode. I find this helps when shooting when there is varying degrees of light levels. If shooting digital, learn to use the histogram.

OMG! I had that same suit. :p What a cute kiddo I love the picture. I just wonder if you could somehow cut out that pillow or whatever out from behind the baby's head.
Even with the pillow it should go in a frame for sure. That's a wonderful photo.

It's a tad over exposed - but you know that. Nice composition and wonderful sailor suit - I wonder if it would make a good black and white as well - you know that kinda old look (given what yous made the poor little bugga wear - lol).

Cruzin said:
I really like the expression you caught on your son. Do you have any photo editing software? The over exposure is not beyond repair. If you do not have a decent method to fix it, you can pm me and I will give you my email address. I am a sucker for grandma's getting good pictures.

As far as composition goes try not to centre subjects. Try using the camera as a light meter, get right up to the persons face with camera on auto mode, find out what the settings are, then copy the settings on to manual mode. I find this helps when shooting when there is varying degrees of light levels. If shooting digital, learn to use the histogram.

Thanks, like I said this shot had zero set up time. The actual portaits I tried did not come out well at all. The tips you mention will come in very handy in the future, thanks again.

elsaspet said:
OMG! I had that same suit. :p What a cute kiddo I love the picture. I just wonder if you could somehow cut out that pillow or whatever out from behind the baby's head.
Even with the pillow it should go in a frame for sure. That's a wonderful photo.

This photo did make it to a frame, and the 8x10 came out wonderfull.

2Stupid2Duck said:
It's a tad over exposed - but you know that. Nice composition and wonderful sailor suit - I wonder if it would make a good black and white as well - you know that kinda old look (given what yous made the poor little bugga wear - lol).

WE do not make anyone wear the suit. Its my Mom that does it. :lol:

Thank-you all for the kind words and tips.

Thanks for lookin.

Most reactions

Back