Improving my lifestyle photography?

Reality can be rough... ask the mouse whose job it is to be an owl's supper... The fact is, people are undertaking jobs without realizing that there's a LOT more to many photographs than just pressing a shutter-release button.

If the OP has left, can I ask a question? This thread sort of makes it sound like "candid" and "lifestyle" photography are interchangeable. I always thought that candid was completely unposed, possibly without the subject even knowing they are being photographed and lifestyle was when the photographer set up the scene and lighting, but instead of having the subjects look at the camera and posing every part of the body, you have them do things they would normally do. Things like throwing kids up in the air or tickling and laughing, etc. Basically, making it look like a candid when it's actually a controlled environment.

Thanks!

........ a LOT more to many photographs than just pressing a shutter-release button.
Passer by - "You have been standing next to that camera / tripod for 15 minutes and have not taken a picture"
Me - "I am waiting for that big cloud to pass by the sun so that the lake has some reflections"
Passer by - "I dont know why you dont just use the flash, modern cameras take all the skill out of photography"
Me - "Thanks for the advice"

There is a good reason I never get paid for photography. I am not good enough.

If the OP has left, can I ask a question? This thread sort of makes it sound like "candid" and "lifestyle" photography are interchangeable. I always thought that candid was completely unposed, possibly without the subject even knowing they are being photographed and lifestyle was when the photographer set up the scene and lighting, but instead of having the subjects look at the camera and posing every part of the body, you have them do things they would normally do. Things like throwing kids up in the air or tickling and laughing, etc. Basically, making it look like a candid when it's actually a controlled environment.

Thanks!
Candids are pretty much happy snap pictures, some require nothing more than pointing the camera and shooting, others may require more planning. While shooting sports I do a lot of candid portraits of the athletes, most of the time they don't know I'm shooting, so nothing is set up.

I think 'lifestyle' is more like what Cherylynne described and was the term used by the OP. I thought what the OP was actually describing seemed more like event photography where you're getting photos as things are happening. (For the most part that is; there may be some posed/group photos that occur during the event.)

To me it's another thing that shows the need for more learning to happen first to be able to do the job. And I think comments given weren't harsh but a reality check. To me this is kind of like cramming for a test and not the best way to do well on a job and expect to be offered future work (because the lack of preparation or know-how may be apparent in the results).

I went back to the site THE OP referred us to and looked at every single image I could find: in my first visit I had missed a section. I think that web site was shot by an intermediate-type photographer, and I'd say every image was directed to at least some degree, but the level of the work is not "high-grade, commercial pro" photography, which is what we USED TO see on web sites and in brochures, before the flood of d-slr shooters brought in loads of people who really do not have the knowledge or skills or gear to do higher-level commercial photography. But then again, not every company sees the value in higher-quality photos, and some will eagerly accept UGC or user-generated content, and also will hire low-end shooters to do their photos; not every company has a $10,000 to $30,000 budget for photography, that's just a fact.

The best lifestyle images convey a sense of idyllic perfection, and they give that (false) sense of everything being super-awesome, totally satisfying, just peachy-keen. The best "lifestyle" images are I think, created by very skilled photographers, and they have good lighting, good posing of the people, attractive people, clear emphasis on what the photo means, what the significance is, and so on. The best lifestyle images have been directed by the photographer, and everything in the shot works together, to create a generalized good feeling.

I'm not a pro by far ...

But once you learn the limitations of your equipment you start to learn how to use it better.
AF doesn't work fast .. don't put it in a position to have to focus large variations. Track someone/people and focus on them so the lens only has to focus a short distance.
Think about how people are moving and be ready to capture photos, even many where only one of a dozen or more are decent.

It's kinda like sports. You have to be ready to take the shot at all times, otherwise it's going to happen whether you are ready or not.

^ Incredible lifestyle photographer. My best friend and I were talking about photography last weekend and I pulled up your website and we just sat around talking about how amazing you were for about an hour. No joke. :)

^ Incredible lifestyle photographer. My best friend and I were talking about photography last weekend and I pulled up your website and we just sat around talking about how amazing you were for about an hour. No joke. :)

Great. Now I cannot fit my head through the door! LOL j/k Thanks!!!!

Most reactions

Back