in a total FUNK.

MLeeK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Every fall I make this trip up into the Adirondack mountains with my mother, grandmother and aunt. The aunts were all born in Gloversville, NY and much of the old family lives up that way still so we go visit for a day. The trip is 4 days and each year we take a different set of back roads and by-ways to get there and back. It's always beautiful and I have seen much of NY I wouldn't have ever seen had I not done the trip. HOWEVER...
I am in such a funk I really don't want to be bothered. Each year I come back with the same gorgeous fall shots of something scenic, maybe a few macro's, a family portrait or two, some shots of the family church/pew/etc. I go to some of the abandoned resorts, factories, etc and so my thing while they go to lunch or visit... It just all feels THE SAME. Blah. Bored.
I have done it so many years now I am just in a funk. I want to want to shoot, but I just don't. So, what to do? Any suggestions? Or will my funk go away when I get in the car and go?

Here's one of my favorites from a couple of years back:
6784190752_f79654f7db.jpg

My advice - take the camera, put it back in the suitcase and then go out and enjoy yourself -- without the camera.

Sometimes freeing yourself of the camera lets you relax without the back of your mind going "where's the shot - where's the shot - oh was that it - did we miss it?". Just take a little time without it and you'll be able to appreciate things in a new light and also get a rest from it. When you're ready unpack it and take it out again

Lovely shot! Absolutely gorgeous!

I wish I had advice for you... but I get the same way, and only time will get me past it.

Shoot the family gathering like it was an event, and pull together a blurb book, and get copies for each of mom, grandma, and aunt. This solves the Christmas (or present-giving holiday of your choice) present problem as well!

Definitely not a bad idea amolitor!

I've been there. Well, not to the Adirondacks--but in that "funk" pit where I'm just not excited or motivated to take photos that seem like just the same old thing I've always done.

Sometimes, it helps me to try something different--something I'm not comfortable or familiar with--for me, that covers a LOT of territory! ;) But sometimes, even that just doesn't do it, because I've BEEN there, DONE that with ALL of it in that place--this is how it is for me with the Great Smoky Mountains, since the park is less than an hour drive from me.

MY suggestion? DON'T shoot. Take the camera and lenses and all that. But, if you don't come up with something that excites you, don't do photography!! Sometimes we just need a break--even from things we ENJOY.

I recently had a very good reminder of this myself, but sometimes I think we, as photographers, get so caught up in getting the next picture that we forget sometimes to just put the camera down and enjoy the experience of BEING there. Maybe this year just go to lunch with your mom and aunts, visit with them--they won't be around forever and you'll look back and be glad you had those moments with them.

EDIT: Wow. I was just ninja'd by FOUR other posters! There were NO comments when I started typing. This is what happens when you start a reply and then get called away by work...so now my post is kinda redundant, but yeah--what Overread said. :D

Maybe set yourself a goal and then try to achieve it. For example, maybe pick a theme (leaves or barns etc.) and then concentrate on just shooting that. Or maybe pick one area or scene and try to get the best shot ever, of that scene.
Maybe try a technique or piece of equipment that you haven't used much before.

Either way, when you set out with a goal, it (at the very least) give you a purpose. And once you're out working on that goal, there will likely be other things that just pop up, maybe things that never would have occurred to you otherwise.

I usually set myself to a project when I get in a funk like this-which would lean into a lot of your suggestions, but I can't even figure one out! Total blank.
I honestly would rather stay home and shoot football. Now isn't that sad???
You watch-I'll go and this will end up being the. best. year. ever. for pictures from this trip. Only because at this point I don't even want to go!

I wish I had advice for you... but I get the same way, and only time will get me past it.

I have a few hobbies and seem to fall into this with all of them at some point. Something always happens which snaps me out of it. As Overread said, throw the bag in the car. If it's still sitting there when you get home, there's aways next year. Forcing it will never work. BTW, beautiful photo ;)

I have a few hobbies and seem to fall into this with all of them at some point. Something always happens which snaps me out of it. As Overread said, throw the bag in the car. If it's still sitting there when you get home, there's aways next year. Forcing it will never work. BTW, beautiful photo ;)
Agree 100% with all of that! Put the camera down, pick up a book... go for a walk... IF you see "the" scene, go back and get the camera and shoot. If you don't? Keep walking, reading, or whatever.

Now they just called and threw a SURPRISE 90th birthday party at me. Of course, I'm expected to shoot it. I am pretty sure I'll have more fun shooting it than sitting there like a bump!!! There is that to look forward to.
Maybe I'll rent a TS-e and something else off the wall to play with. I've been wanting one. Maybe that'll light a spark.

GO FOR THE TILTSHIFT!

And don't forget to pack your extension tubes and flash ;)

Drop acid and see what happens.

If not that then I'd say do nothing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back