+1

And so is a floor lamp, and the lamp will perform better and last longer
bigthumb.gif

2WheelPhoto said:
+1

I feel a DYI project coming up lol.

photographygirl said:
Like I said in a prev. post, i'm NOT doing this professionaly. This is just a hobby and passion of mine. I have lots of friends that want pictures taken, either of them or of there baby or kids. I make a little cash for doing it, and just want to "look" a little more professional than what I have right now. I have two big floresent lights that tip over and are very dangerous, and I have a hologen light that gets really hot. None of them have stands. I have a sheet hanging over a diy backdrop stand made of plastic pipes, and that tips over to. lol Its very goofy looking. I'm not really intrested in the charoma key, so I would just chose the white cotton option instead of green. I only do photoshoots once every few months right now, mostly outdoors, so this would help me out for doing it at home a little more often. Again, its not professional. I never went to school or have taken any classes on photography. I just like doing it. lol Its fun for me.

There's no such thing as "make a little cash for doing it" without being legally considered as professional, as in you're making money at it. If you're not getting yourself a sales and use tax permit, or you're not declaring your "little cash" as misc income on your personal taxes, you are breaking the law. It's as simple as that.

It's either a hobby, or it's a side job. You can't have it both ways. You're opening yourself up to tremendous liability by not doing things by the book.

You probably don't care, and will immediately blow me off, but that doesn't change reality. All it takes is one accident on a shoot, one unhappy "friend" and you have a HUGE problem on your hands because you didn't prepare properly before accepting one penny for your work.

You have much bigger problems than lighting it would seem.

Derrel said:
Uhhhh, would that be a Do Yourself In project, perhaps???

Lol that'll work :)

It's within her budget

+1

bigthumb.gif

You could get one of those floor lamps with a bunch of bulbs and put those 45W slaves in there! Viola! Enough wattage for $50!

THat might just be a real suggestion... I am thinking about it the more I sit here...

Last edited:
photographygirl said:
Like I said in a prev. post, i'm NOT doing this professionaly. This is just a hobby and passion of mine. I have lots of friends that want pictures taken, either of them or of there baby or kids. I make a little cash for doing it, and just want to "look" a little more professional than what I have right now. I have two big floresent lights that tip over and are very dangerous, and I have a hologen light that gets really hot. None of them have stands. I have a sheet hanging over a diy backdrop stand made of plastic pipes, and that tips over to. lol Its very goofy looking. I'm not really intrested in the charoma key, so I would just chose the white cotton option instead of green. I only do photoshoots once every few months right now, mostly outdoors, so this would help me out for doing it at home a little more often. Again, its not professional. I never went to school or have taken any classes on photography. I just like doing it. lol Its fun for me.

There's no such thing as "make a little cash for doing it" without being legally considered as professional, as in you're making money at it. If you're not getting yourself a sales and use tax permit, or you're not declaring your "little cash" as misc income on your personal taxes, you are breaking the law. It's as simple as that.

It's either a hobby, or it's a side job. You can't have it both ways. You're opening yourself up to tremendous liability by not doing things by the book.

You probably don't care, and will immediately blow me off, but that doesn't change reality. All it takes is one accident on a shoot, one unhappy "friend" and you have a HUGE problem on your hands because you didn't prepare properly before accepting one penny for your work.

You have much bigger problems than lighting it would seem.
Ok, your going off topic, and you have no idea what I do with my taxes. My friends come to me for photos, I would do it for free, but they donate and give me $20 here and there because they love my photos. That has nothing to do with the original post, but of course there is always that one person on the forums who likes to be negative and blow things way over the top. Thanks for that. Let's get back on topic please.

It's within her budget

+1

bigthumb.gif

You could get one of those floor lamps with a bunch of bulbs and put those 45W slaves in there! Viola! Enough wattage for $50!

THat might just be a real suggestion... I am thinking about it the more I sit here...
OOOOO! And they have lamps like that come in a box, they break down to size enough to fit in my kit...

Did someone mention a DIY project?

MLeeK said:
OOOOO! And they have lamps like that come in a box, they break down to size enough to fit in my kit...

Did someone mention a DIY project?

Nope, I mentioned DYI :)

Ok guys! Some of you were saying my website was lame, so I used your advice! Tell me if this is any better. I put it together in about half hour and am still working on it. I can't figure out how to change my home page though... Dorothy Thul Photography | Wedding, Portraits, Glamour… Anything you need!

And about some more lighting advice.... I noticed that the lights on cowboy studio website do have replacable bulbs... and they also sell bulbs to... wouldn't that work for me??

Ok guys! Some of you were saying my website was lame, so I used your advice! Tell me if this is any better. I put it together in about half hour and am still working on it. I can't figure out how to change my home page though... Dorothy Thul Photography | Wedding, Portraits, Glamour… Anything you need!

And about some more lighting advice.... I noticed that the lights on cowboy studio website do have replacable bulbs... and they also sell bulbs to... wouldn't that work for me??
Those bulbs are the modeling lights. Not the flash tubes.
If that's what you want, its what you want. I am not sure there was any point in asking for help. We have told you its junk. That comes from experience and being in the field. You seem ti want more units instead of what you NEED. I guess guts what you should buy.

I read your previous posts and it doesn't look like you're in an emergency to get lights. Is there any way to save a few more nickels and dimes and get something that will last and be of quality? Someone else mentioned that buying those cheap lights is like flushing money down the drain. A good set of lights is a worthy investment. They don't have to be Profoto or Elinchrom but perhaps something better than Cowboy Studio.

Oh, well I guess I didn't know how many I actaully need then. I'm still learning here, I was just trying to figure out what is best for portraits, something where I can change around the lighting and try different techniques and things. Thought maybe more was better. That is why I came onto this forum, was to get some help and maybe learn a few things. Some of the people on here are actaully nice about helping, but others.... not so much. Not sure why some of you even respond to questions if your just going to be sarcastic and make smart remarks! Thanks to you who actaully have helped, and for those of you stuck-up people who think your just to experienced and smart to help out someone who is just learning about lighting, then just ignore the questions and keep to yourself!!!! :thumbdown:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back