In love with two older Nikon AF lenses!

shadowlands

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My new (used) Nikon 85mm 1.8D & 180mm 2.8D! Love 'em! Just got the 35mm F2.0D as well for a steal of a deal.

DF85.jpg
DF180.jpg

$65 on eBay, mint condition. Excellent sharpness and prime-like contrast and saturation. It was advertised as a “d” but it’s not. It is my understanding that the d version has identical optis but quicker AF. I requested a refund and the seller agreed but didn’t even want it back.

2EEC6DB1-D452-45B5-9F6F-E3506E893EF5.jpeg

$65 on eBay, mint condition. Excellent sharpness and prime-like contrast and saturation. It was advertised as a “d” but it’s not. It is my understanding that the d version has identical optis but quicker AF. I requested a refund and the seller agreed but didn’t even want it back.

View attachment 167558

The D simply means the focus distance is sent from the lens to the camera. It's not any quicker.

The AF and AF-D series Nikkors look great when paired with the Df's sort of 1970's-1980's retro styling cues! I still have a 180 ED~Ai-S and the newer 180 AF-D like you have...I really like the way the 180 is so compact and carry-able and sharp! I bought a 35/2 AF-D used in 2001 or so, and it worked great until 2012 or so, when the diaphragm conked out...now it shoots everything wide-open. Be aware that the 35/2 autofocus model had sort of a reputation for oil gumming up the aperture blades; my copy was perfectly fine for about ten years, and then one day, BOOM! oil all over the aperture mechanism, but the performance seemed fine for about two years, and then one day, in the middle of a shoot, I noticed that everything was coming out very over-exposed.

You know, I think the Nikon Df might just be the rarest of all Nikon d-slr models. I think it's a gorgeous-looking camera, in a retro-inspired way. it reminds me of the Nikon compact 35mm SLRS of my youth, the FM, FE,FM-2,and FE-2, and in a slight way the N20/20,with that grip swell-look.

As far as the AF and AF-D type Nikkor primes: I personally LIKE the sound of the focusing action of an AF or AF-D Nikkor...that little "Dzzzzt!" --in low-light, that focusing noise, and the slight feel it comes with, give me confidence that, yes, the lens HAS re-focused when I send a fresh command to focus; this is different from the AF-S protocol, which can be so smooth,and so silent, that sometimes in bad light, it's hard to know, for certain, if the lens has re-focued when you have commanded it to re-focus, with either an AF-On button touch, or with a shutter button touch.

View attachment 167558

The D simply means the focus distance is sent from the lens to the camera. It's not any quicker.

No. I’ve found numerous sources stating that on this particular lens the AF was upgraded in the D version. It is known for having snappy focus, but mine is slow, so I believe it.

View attachment 167558

No. I’ve found numerous sources stating that on this particular lens the AF was upgraded in the D version. It is known for having snappy focus, but mine is slow, so I believe it.

Maybe the gears were changed. But the AF mechanism isn't in the lens. It's in the body.

View attachment 167558

Could the grease in the AF mechanism be gummy and causing drag?

View attachment 167558

Maybe the gears were changed. But the AF mechanism isn't in the lens. It's in the body.

Yes, the gears were changed. That is my understanding based on my research anyway.

View attachment 167558

Yes, the gears were changed. That is my understanding based on my research anyway.

Faster? Maybe. Better and more accurate?

The AF and AF-D series Nikkors look great when paired with the Df's sort of 1970's-1980's retro styling cues! I still have a 180 ED~Ai-S and the newer 180 AF-D like you have...I really like the way the 180 is so compact and carry-able and sharp! I bought a 35/2 AF-D used in 2001 or so, and it worked great until 2012 or so, when the diaphragm conked out...now it shoots everything wide-open. Be aware that the 35/2 autofocus model had sort of a reputation for oil gumming up the aperture blades; my copy was perfectly fine for about ten years, and then one day, BOOM! oil all over the aperture mechanism, but the performance seemed fine for about two years, and then one day, in the middle of a shoot, I noticed that everything was coming out very over-exposed.

You know, I think the Nikon Df might just be the rarest of all Nikon d-slr models. I think it's a gorgeous-looking camera, in a retro-inspired way. it reminds me of the Nikon compact 35mm SLRS of my youth, the FM, FE,FM-2,and FE-2, and in a slight way the N20/20,with that grip swell-look.

As far as the AF and AF-D type Nikkor primes: I personally LIKE the sound of the focusing action of an AF or AF-D Nikkor...that little "Dzzzzt!" --in low-light, that focusing noise, and the slight feel it comes with, give me confidence that, yes, the lens HAS re-focused when I send a fresh command to focus; this is different from the AF-S protocol, which can be so smooth,and so silent, that sometimes in bad light, it's hard to know, for certain, if the lens has re-focued when you have commanded it to re-focus, with either an AF-On button touch, or with a shutter button touch.

Thanks Derrel! I have the DF and 35 next to me at work as we speak. Beautiful machine! I agree with everything you wrote above.
It's keeping me happy 'till a few years pass and I can hop on the Z6 and Z glass. But no rush. I love the DF.

View attachment 167558

Faster? Maybe. Better and more accurate?
I wouldn’t think so, but I’ve never used the D. This one is fine for my needs. It takes outstanding photos.

I own the AF 60mm f2.8 micro, AF 105mm f2 DC and AF 180mm f2.8. They are all absolutely awesome, great optics and great build quality. The autofocus however is on the weaker side, one should be aware of that.

I also think of getting the AF 35mm f2, AF 50mm f1.8, AF 85mm f1.4 and AF 70-200mm f2.8, but I dont really need them too urgently, so maybe not.

I like that you can use pre-AI lenses on the Df without AI-ing them first. But otherwise the bang for the buck for this camera is not exciting. Poor ergonomics. Weak autofocus. Only one card slot. All of that for a high price point. And honestly I dont even find it very pretty.

The one card slot situation is funny... A Z7 owner put down my DF the other day for that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back