In Motion GT500

LakeMaryKid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So today I went over to a friend's house who wanted me to try taking some pictures of his Ford Shelby GT500 Mustang. He wanted me to try the "panning technique" since I had mentioned wanting to learn how to do it but never practiced. So today we drove around some various spots and i gave it my shot. I would really love some critiquing on how to perfect this method.

IMG_34022.jpg

IMG_34092.jpg

IMG_34172.jpg

-Curtis-

Looks like you were a little slow. Can you give us the EXIF Data (shutter speed, Aperture, Iso) Id like to know what camera and lens too.

For improvements i suggest Shutter Proirity, bumping the shutter speed up a bit. You can go until you freeze the cars motion and then slow it down to blur the wheels. I know its a GT500 but, your friend doestnt have to be breaking the sound barrier. Dont forget to move smoothly with the car, watch your framing, try to leave free space in front of the car.

When you get the technique mastered i expect a 2nd gear panning shot with smoke trails following that GT500.

i really like all these shots, but it woulda been so cool if u set up an external flash somewhere to brighten up the car and maybe it woulda cut down down on the motion blur on the car

Shutter looks too slow, and perhaps he was driving too slow... How fast was he going?

EXIF Data

Photo 1:
ISO Speed: 1600
Shutter Speed: 1/60
F Stop: F/29

Photo 2:
Shutter Speed: 1/40
F Stop: F/22

Photo 3:
Shutter Speed: 1/80
F Stop: F/32

He was varying the speeds. Some were around 15mph and some maybe around 25mph.

Thank's guys. I was rather pleased how they turned out for my first time and am anxious to do it again.

Oh and i also got to drive it too :D

-Curtis-

When I do these at the track I usually shoot at 1/200 to 1/250 and let the aperture fall where it needs to be for exposure.

The way I do it is i follow the car from before I want to take pictures and try to keep the focus point on the same spot on the car. This will ensure you are panning at the same speed as the car. Put the camera in burst mode and hold it down and follow.

The reason I say use burst mode is because when you pull the trigger you are apt to move the camera up or down or speed up or slow down the panning. If you use burst you can hold it down and continue to follow through with the car.

It really depends on a lot of things, such as the distance to the background, the closer the background to the moving object, the faster the background is moving in the image, so the more blurry the background will be. I am speculating but I think its correct... It also depends on the distance from you to the subject, and the speed of the subject...

Looks like you were a little slow. Can you give us the EXIF Data (shutter speed, Aperture, Iso) Id like to know what camera and lens too.

For improvements i suggest Shutter Proirity, bumping the shutter speed up a bit. You can go until you freeze the cars motion and then slow it down to blur the wheels. I know its a GT500 but, your friend doestnt have to be breaking the sound barrier. Dont forget to move smoothly with the car, watch your framing, try to leave free space in front of the car.

When you get the technique mastered i expect a 2nd gear panning shot with smoke trails following that GT500.

I agree with that...

EXIF Data

Photo 1:
Shutter Speed: 1/60
F Stop: F/29

Photo 2:
Shutter Speed: 1/40
F Stop: F/22

Photo 3:
Shutter Speed: 1/80
F Stop: F/32

He was varying the speeds. Some were around 15mph and some maybe around 25mph.

Thank's guys. I was rather pleased how they turned out for my first time and am anxious to do it again.

Oh and i also got to drive it too :D

-Curtis-

Alright, with that info i suggest you get in an area with more light so you can drop your iso. With daylight you should be at no more than 400. I think 20 to maybe 25mph is a good speed if your standing just to the side of the road. You didnt say what camera & Lens combo your using?

Alright, with that info i suggest you get in an area with more light so you can drop your iso. With daylight you should be at no more than 400. I think 20 to maybe 25mph is a good speed if your standing just to the side of the road. You didnt say what camera & Lens combo your using?

Ah sorry about that, i must of missed it.

I was using a Canon Rebel XTI with the stock 18-55 lens. I only have the stock lens and a Canon 70-300mm lens.

So try bumping the shutter speed up to about what? 1/80-1/125? Maybe I will get the chance to do it again next weekend.

-Curtis-

Most reactions

Back