In need of camera upgrade but require suggestions

cmdrdredd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone, first time poster so go easy on me if you would be so kind.

I currently own a Nikon D50 and have had it for many years. Obviously it doesn't have the speed, quality, and capabilities of newer cameras. I need to upgrade this camera. I am not heavily invested in the lenses, only have the 18-55 that came with it and a 55-200 VR that I purchased separately. What I have been trying to do is get some pictures of BMX racing which is pretty fast action. My camera is too slow and I am not 100% happy with the low light capabilities.

So what I was thinking is to upgrade to a newer Nikon, but I am open to other suggestions. I am not concerned with video so much but to have it would not be a bad convenience. I am familiar with both Nikon and Canon cameras. I will admit I am not a professional, but know enough to realize I need/want a little bit more than what I have right now. I have a couple questions I will outline below and hopefully someone can assist.

1) Is the quality difference between a D5200 and D3200 significant enough to spend the extra cash? I'm not against spending more if I would benefit from the extra features. I was told the D5200 would be better in low lighting conditions so it might be a better idea. (Sometimes the racing is under the lights). Also since it's faster I might be more happy with it for action shots?
2) I am not brand loyal and did also look at Canon offerings including the T4i but not being up to date on all the sensors used and such, I want to know some opinions regarding this vs the Nikon. Also is the lens quality the same between them or is there a difference?
3) Would I be better served to get an 18-200 or even 18-300 lens rather than using multiples? Is it simply a convenience factor?
3) Are there any considerations beyond what I mentioned that I should think about?

If there's anything you can think of that might help me make a decision I'd welcome it.

Thanks in advance

Having had a D50, I would recommend you skip the D3200, seriously consider the D5200, and if you can afford it get the D7000.

My reasoning is based on the auto focus modual, and metering sensor the D5200 and D7000 share, and additional features the D7000 has over the D5200 - 2 command wheels, top LCD, more external controls, flash Commander mode.

Any 10x+ superzoom lens (18-200 or 18-300) have to be a collection of stacked lens design compromises that all add up to diminished image quality at various lens settings.

Superzooms are convenient but are jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none lenses.

For what it's worth I'm so happy with my D7000 and nikkor 80-200 2.8 it is a great setup. I would love to get my hands on the 70-200 2.8 II but for a broke college student the 80-200 is amazing piece of glass.

Is the D7000 a better camera worth the increase in price from the D5200? I'm wondering if I would need some of its features, but am not sure if I'd miss any of it in time. Like in the future would I want to have the faster shutter speed and quicker access to the controls? Or should I put the extra couple hundred bux toward the fund for an f2.8 lens?

Thoughts?

Yes. I think the D7000 has enough additional features to make it worth the higher cost.

412 Burgh mentions the Nikon 80-200 mm f/2.8 lens. The D5200 is intended to be a compact camera and does not have an auto focus motor/screw-drive system in it.
The Nikon AF 80-200 f/2.8 D does not have an auto focus motor in it, so Nikon lenses that don't have an auto focus motor in them will not auto focus on a D5200. Only AF-S and the few AI lenses that have an auto focus motor in them will auto focus on a D5200.

Most AF lenses precede the introduction of their AF-S version counter parts, but many of the fast AF lenses are previous generation pro grade lenses.

Your D50 and the D7000 have the auto focus motor/screw drive system in them. Any Nikon auto focus lens will auto focus on a D7000.

In other words, the D7000 allows you a greater choice of lenses.

As an example, note that the AF 80-200 mm f/2.8D lens new costs $1120 - Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

while the newest AF-S 70-200 f/2.8G VR II costs $2400 - Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S Nikkor Zoom Lens For Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

You should note that the pricing for the older pro grade AF lenses is still generally higher than the cost of the newer consumer grade AF-S lenses.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I, too, felt that the D7000 was worth the increased cost. Being AF compatible with almost every lens out there is nice. Also, the high speed flash sync is also nice as is the weather-sealed body. I love the U1 and U2 options, which allow instant recall of two separate groups of user-defined settings. And the fact that the built in flash for the D7000 can act as a commander for off-camera flashes means I don't have to buy another flash to put on-camera or buy a remote trigger system just to run the off-camera flashes.

WRT lenses - as Keith mentioned, the 18-200/300mm lenses are nice enough, but you give up a lot in IQ across the range vis-a-vis going with a multiple lens setup.

Another vote for the D7000. Having gone from D50 to D80 to D300s, The things Keith mentioned, especally 2 command wheels and Top lcd are the deal makers.

Another vote for the D7000. Having gone from D50 to D80 to D300s, The things Keith mentioned, especally 2 command wheels and Top lcd are the deal makers.

Absolutly the D7000!!!

Thank you guys so much for the info. I never realized how many lenses don't have the motor in them.

I have one last question, how much quality do I give up, or gain for that matter, with the d7000 over the d5200?

I guess I am not sure how the megapixel rating translates to the actual clarity that would be possible. Can someone help me understand which sensor is better or break it down to simple terms as to how each might compare in image clarity?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you guys so much for the info. I never realized how many lenses don't have the motor in them.

I have one last question, how much quality do I give up, or gain for that matter, with the d7000 over the d5200?

I guess I am not sure how the megapixel rating translates to the actual clarity that would be possible. Can someone help me understand which sensor is better or break it down to simple terms as to how each might compare in image clarity?
24mp is not really needed by most people, it is definetely a good selling point for a company because it sounds great. Your d50 is 6mp, getting a d7000 increases your resolution by almost 3 times (16mp). Do you really need more? If cash is a problem the nikon d90 is still available at a great price new and is not to far off the d7000 spec wise

'Quality' is a tricky word... I don't think many people would pick the D5200 over the D7000.

D7000 is built better then the D5200 (weather sealed magnesium alloy body shell)
D7000 has dual card slots.
D7000 has 100% viewfinder (vs. 95% on the D5200)
D7000 has 1/8000 shutter (vs. 1/4000 )
D7000 has a faster FPS.

The D5200 gives you more megapixels.. But i doubt you could tell if an image was taken with the D7000 vs. D5200 (remember, the D4 is only 16mp also.. mp's aren't everything).

Im sure the D5200 is a good camera... but since you can get a refurb D7000 for $750 right now, IMHO its a no-brainer.

'Quality' is a tricky word... I don't think many people would pick the D5200 over the D7000.

D7000 is built better then the D5200 (weather sealed magnesium alloy body shell)
D7000 has dual card slots.
D7000 has 100% viewfinder (vs. 95% on the D5200)
D7000 has 1/8000 shutter (vs. 1/4000 )
D7000 has a faster FPS.

The D5200 gives you more megapixels.. But i doubt you could tell if an image was taken with the D7000 vs. D5200 (remember, the D4 is only 16mp also.. mp's aren't everything).

Im sure the D5200 is a good camera... but since you can get a refurb D7000 for $750 right now, IMHO its a no-brainer.
The D7000 has 2 dials, one for Appature and one for Shutter
The D5200 has only one.
This might not sound like a big issue but it really is.
For those who shoot in manual (most of us here) its so much easier to work with a camera that has 2 dials rather then one.
Also the D7000 has the Focus motor while the D5200 doesnt which gives you the chance to buy lenses that doesnt have in lens focus motor (cheaper).

If you don't care about video, you should also look into a used D300. This camera is built like a tank. It's pretty much a D3 in DX form. The D300/D300s is top of the line as far as Nikon DX cameras. Also, unlike the D7000, it has a full magnesium alloy body instead of just the top and bottom plates. Then you could always get a battery grip, EN-EL4 battery, and chamber cover and get 8 fps out of it.

You would lose some ISO capability, but gain a legendary autofocus system. Plus, every control you need is at your fingers, not in a menu.

Much appreciated all around. Thank you

Based on indepenent testing lab results, the image quality differences are very minimal - DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side.

Clarity is more a function of technique (photographer skill and knowledge) and lens quality, than camera body performance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back