In person sales

12sndsgood

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.square1photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am just wondering who here goes back to there clients and shows off their photos or prints and writes up a sale there in person? At first I decided I would just slap them up on my website, people could buy them from there home and I didn't have to deal with it. I've never really been a salesman but the more I invest my time into this and learn, the more i feel it is a better option. I was watching a 5 day wedding seminar witth Sal Cincotta and they were talking about how when they made the switch to in person sales they were seeing there sales of photographs go from a couple hundred dollars to a couple thousand dollars. I feel it's something I should work towards.

We do in home sales when the clients are available. Sometimes at the clients home. Online ordering can be good for out of town family or friends, or if you have something like a destination wedding where the clients are no longer in town. Best to sell in person whenever possible. You will get better results that way.

Statistics show that in-home proofing/sales almost always result in increased sales, BUT... what I find is that with the average family having two working parents, herding all the cats together to do an in-person session can be very difficult.

Statistics show that in-home proofing/sales almost always result in increased sales, BUT... what I find is that with the average family having two working parents, herding all the cats together to do an in-person session can be very difficult.

^^^ This. Unfortunately, getting my clients to meet in person for the print sales consultation is rarely successful. Everyone's too busy...

That was one of my concerns was having to schedule another time to sit down The baby photo's I did about 2 months ago I had planned on coming back over and showing off the photos and then trying to get an order but it didnt happen. So I put them online and waited.two months later they just place a $200 order for photos, they were just so busy and then with her being off work with the baby money was tight. And I wonder if that would have just been awkward for them with me coming back and trying to get them to order photos at the time when they didn't have the cash. or would have it caused them to just place a small order for a few photos and never came back for a big order. Just definatly some things I want to put more thought into.

The best thing is to try and do what is most convenient and comfortable for your clients.

I think it's well proven that in-person sales will generate a lot more income....and like any other type of sales, there are thousands of little tips, tricks and techniques that will help.

It sounds like you're going to their homes for the sale...that does have an advantage or two, one being that you can show them (on their walls) how big a print would actually be. When sitting at a computer, an 8x10 sounds big, but when you put an 8x10 onto a typical wall space, you show them that it's actually quite small....so you up-sell them to a larger print size. Always bring a tape measure (better yet, have some small ones made up with your logo on them and give them out).

But really, the downside to going to their home is that it puts you on their territory and they are thus in control of things. A much better way is to bring them to you, and of course, you set up your area in specific ways to encourage them to spend more money. Many photographers use their own livingroom, but the more successful ones will usually have a sales office or at least part of their studio designated as a sales area.

One (somewhat) obvious tip is to show them really large images. Using a projector is/was the common thing to do (the whole technique is often called 'projecting)...but now that 50-60" TV screens are affordable, those are a popular option (I'd think). Slideshow with music to create emotions. If they cry, they will buy.

You mentioned getting a time to meet with them. Some photographers will book both the shoot and the sales meeting right at the start. Plus, if they are coming to you for the shoot, they shouldn't be put out when they have to come back to you for the photos. If you are going to them for the shoot...it's harder to pull off.

A good tip is that you always want both 'mom & dad' to be there for the meeting. If only one is present, it's too easy for them to use the excuse "I have to check with my husband first". And of course, it's almost always the mom who will be in charge, so it's her that you should focus your attention on. Put her in the best viewing spot etc.

And really, the the basic thing that makes this a more profitable way to sell, is that it's the only opportunity for them to purchase photos. They see the photos, they get emotional and then you give them their 'only' chance to purchase. That sense of urgency will mean higher sales. It might seem a bit slimy, but pretty much all salesmen are a bit slimy IMO...it's either that or be unsuccessful.
On the opposite side of that, when you just use a web gallery, you are basically letting them view the photos on their own terms in their own time. They may get emotional the first time they look at them, but if there is no urgency to order right away, they will wait, and the next time they view the images, the emotions would have subsided and the order will be less.

Last edited:
The "seeing the big images" was one thing I have been thinking about. going for the wall hanging versus the 4x6. I have actually thought about going ahead and having what i felt was the best iamge printed out and then put into a large frame and show that to them to try and wow them with the image. I have also started making some purchases of larger prints and canvas to hang in my den so if someone is there they can really get a feel for going with a bigger image.

I agree with everything Big Mike says.

Oh, and just to be pedantic:

There, Their, and They're : 3 different words meaning 3 different things and all sounding the same. Spell check software rarely knows the difference.

The people I have seen be succesful at this bring the clients back to their studio for a viewing in a controlled environment. The session is scheduled up front with the initial booking and everyone knows whats expected.

Big Mike is right in every way. You should also meet clients before they even hire you as this helps with dozens of things, including:

- Educating your clients about the beauty of wall portraits rather than the little prints they originally had in mind.
- It enables you to discuss clothing so they don't turn up on the day of the photography in clashing colours.
- Explaining that you will present the final images in person and not put them on a website. Explain that they benefit because they will be able to see the images in full detail and in all their glory. Explain that you can help with the selection process and use Proselect to show how the images will look in their home before they've even invested in them.

If you invest a little extra time before and after the photography your sales will improve dramatically and your clients will feel more taken care of. They'll also end up with something much more precious than a CD or a couple of 8x10s.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back