In The Bleak Midwinter

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Before I get chastised for exposure, focus, DOF, and everything else. This is a departure outside the box, an experiment into the mildly abstract yet surreal look of a cold dreary day. There was light mist and the hint of fog on the ridge line. I intentionally overexposed to blow the whites and give a slightly frosty effect to the edges of the foliage. Other than that a few tweaks here and there in LR. C&C appreciated.

Bleak Midwinter20181223_0235.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Looks like the scenery around here only we have mud from the rain last week. I like the high key.

You ask for no chastising....so..you got it.

I'll only say, if you invision something, go for it. I just don't see what you see here.
All I see is what you have done, in camera and post. Overexposed and blown whites.

I understand what you were going for... I think though the perspective being so low hurts the image. The way the grasses in the bottom quarter are placed, I feel like I'm looking directly into a wall; were I looking down on this a bit more, I think it would work much better. My $00.02 (before taxes) worth...

I understand what you were going for... I think though the perspective being so low hurts the image. The way the grasses in the bottom quarter are placed, I feel like I'm looking directly into a wall; were I looking down on this a bit more, I think it would work much better. My $00.02 (before taxes) worth...

I think the comments are valid. From what I've read on this type of image, negative space is as important as the subject and simplicity is paramount to the composition. Had I isolated the tree from the competing tree line and minimized the wall effect you described in the foreground it would have helped this composition.

@InFlight thank you for the comments. I think I need to experiment more with this idea.

I had a kindred thought process. I snapped this photo while hiking with my dog

. 8 Tim's tree bw (1).jpg

I had a kindred thought process. I snapped this photo while hiking with my dog

.View attachment 167311

I believe we are thinking along the same lines. In rethinking my shot, I believe simplicity is the key to making it work. The photographer that I drew my idea from isolates the subject in a very minimalist setting. Then uses negative white to surround it.

As I mentioned, I was out with my dog, so this was his view.

I really miss my Twin Lens Reflex for those low angle shots.

Most reactions

Back