In the Field

This is lovely

Looks like a painting and I highly recommend you and mr rabbit to have this framed large.Just saying.

I like it but I think that the people need to be in a little bit more focus, or maybe just the red barn a little bit more and focus. I'm looking for some kind of anchor.

Plus, I had no idea there were amish in Canada as well.
Not quite. We have Mennonites, closely related to Amish, but distinct from them. They have common Swiss Anabaptist roots plus Mennonites have no mafia. :lol:

Thanks so much all, I'm glad you guys are enjoying it as much as I do :)

I like it but I think that the people need to be in a little bit more focus, or maybe just the red barn a little bit more and focus. I'm looking for some kind of anchor.

Thanks for your thoughts Mike, I will carry them forward with me :)

Okay, Pix, I gotta say, I don't like this one bit...
....because NOW I gotta rethink my choices for which image of yours I want, and I was SO close to a final decision! :lmao:

This is tremendous, really--and I love the crop version that was done too, but it DOES change it. Both versions would be very strong images, imo, just very DIFFERENT images.

I really love how you have taken the photographic medium, and by the use of panning and slow-shutter have stood the "usual" preoccupation of sharpness and avoidance of blur, on its head, and made it sing for you. Of course, beyond the basic technique, you've also have the eye for picking up the appropriate subject and background. Standing back a little and looking over your panning work, the elements that emerge for me is your ability to have s small number of elements appear very distinct and with clear sharpness in at least one dimension, while having the blur make the less important parts of the image step away or recede. In doing so, the technique effectively abstracts the objects into visual labels that then trigger our own associations. In this image, the key elements are the man and woman in a field, with enough detail to allow us to make out that they are a man and a woman, but with enough blur to obscure the specifics of the two, leading us to add our own associations to your image. This image, and many of your other images using this technique, really speaks to the artistic aspect in which the overall "feel" is greater than the individual parts, and part of that feel is your ability to tap into your viewers' memories.

I have tried using your methods, and found that it's a lot harder than it appears on the surface. Certainly, there's the element of chance in how much blur, how much panning, and how clearly the plane of focus is, but beyond that, the quality of the light, and the characteristics of the subject contrast combine to create the mood that is somehow amplified by your technique. I've accumulated quite a few blur images that I kinda like, but they don't have the 'snap" that I find in yours. You have a real knack for this. Please don't stop (and continue posting!!!).

Okay, Pix, I gotta say, I don't like this one bit...
....because NOW I gotta rethink my choices for which image of yours I want, and I was SO close to a final decision! :lmao:

This is tremendous, really--and I love the crop version that was done too, but it DOES change it. Both versions would be very strong images, imo, just very DIFFERENT images.

Thanks so much Sharon! Dare I say I'm glad I made your decision harder ;)

I really love how you have taken the photographic medium, and by the use of panning and slow-shutter have stood the "usual" preoccupation of sharpness and avoidance of blur, on its head, and made it sing for you. Of course, beyond the basic technique, you've also have the eye for picking up the appropriate subject and background. Standing back a little and looking over your panning work, the elements that emerge for me is your ability to have s small number of elements appear very distinct and with clear sharpness in at least one dimension, while having the blur make the less important parts of the image step away or recede. In doing so, the technique effectively abstracts the objects into visual labels that then trigger our own associations. In this image, the key elements are the man and woman in a field, with enough detail to allow us to make out that they are a man and a woman, but with enough blur to obscure the specifics of the two, leading us to add our own associations to your image. This image, and many of your other images using this technique, really speaks to the artistic aspect in which the overall "feel" is greater than the individual parts, and part of that feel is your ability to tap into your viewers' memories.

I have tried using your methods, and found that it's a lot harder than it appears on the surface. Certainly, there's the element of chance in how much blur, how much panning, and how clearly the plane of focus is, but beyond that, the quality of the light, and the characteristics of the subject contrast combine to create the mood that is somehow amplified by your technique. I've accumulated quite a few blur images that I kinda like, but they don't have the 'snap" that I find in yours. You have a real knack for this. Please don't stop (and continue posting!!!).

Paul, you made me tear up a bit by taking the time to share your thoughts like this, thank you so much for thinking around my work this way, I truly appreciate it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back