In the Storeroom of The Gwalia Supply Company

peter27

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
As the title says, this photo was taken in the storeroom attached to the Gwalia Stores in The Museum of Welsh Life, near Cardiff. The original location of this building was Ogmore Vale, Glamorgan.

View attachment 47586

Pentax K1000
Kodak 400 (at 320)
50mm
F1.4, 1/30

I dunno, maybe this is the wrong public or an unfavourable presentation for this photo here, but a number of people who've seen this on paper (printed on good quality matte at 10x15 in the centre of an A4 sheet) have looked at it with great interest, picking it up to scrutinise it, drawing other people's attention to it, etc. One or two have even come on to me to ask more about it and comment (although I generally keep a low profile as and when I show my photos).

Has no one here any comments?

Maybe you didn't get any responses because you did not request any.

I don't see much of great interest in this shot.
A good portion of it is is out of focus and doesn't provide much of an interesting frame for what is in focus.
The color is good but, imo, that's not enough to warrant great attention.

Sorry.

It's a pretty good arrangement of stuff, I think. I agree with Lew that this sort of thing plays better if it's all sharp, but the lack of focus is less of an issue for me. I like the light and color, I like the repetition of shapes.

The right edge of the frame feels weak to me, things are getting a little too busy and random on that side. I would consider cropping a slice off that side, to help the rest of the frame fall in to harmony.

It kinda fails to engage me. By that I mean that I don't quite know what this is meant to be and though I think the photo is ok, it is just a collection of pretty ordinary stuff which is not in bad enough nick to be interesting enough by itself or not composed in a way that to me would be unusual or different. Not knowing the company or its background and having nothing that illustrates it to me in the photo means that I can't really put it in any kind of context.

Normally few replies mean that a photo doesn't contain a lot of technical errors but nethier is it visually stunning enough to have that Wow factor.

Maybe you didn't get any responses because you did not request any.

I have added a sig with this thought in mind.

I don't see much of great interest in this shot.
A good portion of it is is out of focus and doesn't provide much of an interesting frame for what is in focus.
The color is good but, imo, that's not enough to warrant great attention.

Sorry.

No Need to be sorry; I appreciate your candour.

It's a pretty good arrangement of stuff, I think. I agree with Lew that this sort of thing plays better if it's all sharp, but the lack of focus is less of an issue for me. I like the light and color, I like the repetition of shapes.

The right edge of the frame feels weak to me, things are getting a little too busy and random on that side. I would consider cropping a slice off that side, to help the rest of the frame fall in to harmony.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Interesting.

It kinda fails to engage me. By that I mean that I don't quite know what this is meant to be and though I think the photo is ok, it is just a collection of pretty ordinary stuff which is not in bad enough nick to be interesting enough by itself or not composed in a way that to me would be unusual or different. Not knowing the company or its background and having nothing that illustrates it to me in the photo means that I can't really put it in any kind of context.

Normally few replies mean that a photo doesn't contain a lot of technical errors but nethier is it visually stunning enough to have that Wow factor.

Thanks for the Feedback. Yes, without the context it probably is a Little meh. Perhaps the People who showed interest in it felt a little nostalgia or something.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back