In the studio..

Postman158

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm practicing with my Canon 24-70 in pretty low light and no flash. I kinda like how dark it came out, because of the "isolated" feeling of him in the soundproof room. There was also a window I was shooting through, I was standing by the producer on the other side.

ISO 800
f2.8
1/50th
55mm

6816172297_c2261ecffd_b.jpg

Well, since you want "any" thoughts, I'll chime in. :)

The dynamic range is too high. I get what you were going for in the dark moody feel, but then his shoulder is blown out. That bright spot really draws the eye and I wish some of that light had been on his face.

redessa said:
Well, since you want "any" thoughts, I'll chime in. :)

The dynamic range is too high. I get what you were going for in the dark moody feel, but then his shoulder is blown out. That bright spot really draws the eye and I wish some of that light had been on his face.

Thank you! Hehe I went over this image with my friend trying to point out the things others may point out, and that was exactly one of them. I told him that even I don't like how dark his face is, but I couldn't think of anything to light his face without disturbing the pattern of the way the other light was on him. Thank you again!

Sorry for all the bumps, I'd just like to know what others are thinking about it! >.<

I like it. Blown whites and all.

Thanks guys! I can try and edit the WB, I'll see what I can do with the raw file. As for being out of focus, I shot at f2.8 through a window with my selective focus on his face. That might be part of the reason.

Why ISO 800 and f2.8?

I was doing my best trying to get a shutter speed that wouldn't blur him. I was just going in ISO increments while staying at f2.8 to see how high I could get my shutter speed without flashing. What could I have done better? My light was very limited, there was just two tiny bulbs right above him and the microphone shining down on him.

I don't really have experience in this style at all. But my thoughts are something to diffuse the bulbs from above. Not so much block them but spread it out. Maybe if possible position him differently. My other thought would be some sort of reflector to bounce the light back up to his face. Not sure where to put that though.

The very first thing I noticed is that the pop screen for the microphone is smack in front of his forehead.

This was not a photo shoot, the guy was singing, and focusing on that. Seeing that you could not add light without distraction, move him at all, or really make your presence known, you did pretty good. Considering he was working on something besides modeling, you had one and only one place to stand, and light you could do nothing with.

Most reactions

Back