Inconsistent autofocus with 85mm 1.8

The 85mm 1.8g is by far one of the sharpest lens in the Nikon range according to DXO mark and live testing

I probably don't use my 85mm as much as I should but, when I do, it's money. It is, by far, the sharpest lens I've owned...

I am also having a major problem with my 70D (just got it last week). As soon as I get some time I'm going to try and figure it out.... OR I'm considering just returning the camera and getting a new one.

I am also having a major problem with my 70D (just got it last week). As soon as I get some time I'm going to try and figure it out.... OR I'm considering just returning the camera and getting a new one.

Any time a week-old camera has a "major problem", it's time to return it...

Any time a week-old camera has a "major problem", it's time to return it...

I've been crazy busy with work so I haven't had TOO much time to test it out but I shot 2 real estate listings the other day and from approx. 50 finished photos there were less than a handful I was happy with. I'm back to shooting with my 4yr old T1i and getting better results. I'm just hesitant to return because I had to order it and will have to go through that process again. Not sure if I have much of a choice though.

I'm just hesitant to return because I had to order it and will have to go through that process again. Not sure if I have much of a choice though.

Well, ask yourself if the alternative is preferable.

Returning it is really a no-brainer in your case.

I don't know where Hamilton, NJ is, but it can't be so far that you can't take a day and go visit B&H...

If it's happening with both the 85mm and the 50mm, I would suggest that it's far more likely that the problem lies with the body and not the lenses.

If you send the lens (or lenses) back to Canon, they're going to return them to factory specs. Period. They're not going to fine tune them for your preferred shooting style...

You have actually a very valid point.

If it's so unlikely for a lens to have a problem, how likely it would be for 4 out of my 5 lenses to be failing to focus properly?
I actually have micro adjustments for each of my lens except for my 10-22mm which is dark and wide angle, so it just can't actually miss the focus.

I read a topic on another forum (to see it google "70D focus issue & blurred pictures") and a considerable number of 70D owners are having this inconsistent focus issue when using the center AF spot. Many of them have contacted Canon and are not getting their problem solved.

In many cases Canon does not recognize a problem and even when they do take the body for repair (and the customers are sending lots of photos and proof that something is wrong) they're sending it back to them with the same problem as if nothing has been done. There is at least one petition for Canon to assume their mistake and recall those cameras, but so far it didn't get any positive results.

I really don't want to send my only camera body (which I use almost daily) for 1-2 months service just to receive it back later exactly the same way I sent.

I will run some tests in the next days using other AF points instead of the center one. At least if the others work fine I think I can adapt myself to avoid using the bad central one.

Last edited:
I'm just hesitant to return because I had to order it and will have to go through that process again. Not sure if I have much of a choice though.

Well, ask yourself if the alternative is preferable.

Returning it is really a no-brainer in your case.

I don't know where Hamilton, NJ is, but it can't be so far that you can't take a day and go visit B&H...

The closest B&H is in NYC which would be about a 1hr train ride and $30 fare. BUT I do have a Canon facility about 30 minutes away so that's another option. OR I could just take it back to BestBuy where I got it. I'd like to run a few tests on it before I return it though; for my own knowledge and confirmation.

Just out of curiousity does the 85 mm also have the same problems on the t1i? I find it fairly strange that you'd have problems with both a lens and the camera body at the same time. It's not completely impossible of course, but fairly improbable.

Most reactions

Back