Inconspicuous Bags?

I have seen Cotton Carrier, but these were actually enclosed holsters, worn around the waist from a wide belt, and strapped to the leg at the knee. If you see a guy in a SWAT uniform with a gun in a holster strapped to the leg, it had that look to it, with holsters on both sides in this case.

Was enclosed double leather (padded) holsters, one for a camera and a long lens, the other opened up to reveal padded compartments (just like the inside of a camera bag) to hold all kinds of stuff.

Would buy one if I ever saw it again, no need to slide backpack around to get to it, everything right at your side.

Another one for crumpler here. They don't look like an average camera bag. They're a little expensive, but they have some awesome designs and good quality.

The problem with Crumplers...

a) they can be a bit pricey
and b) yes, they're discreet; so everyone buys them for their camera and so everyone has them for their camera and so everyone knows that the Crumpler you're carrying could very probably have a camera in it... besides, who doesn't want to steal a Crumpler anyway? ;)

a) they can be a bit pricey
and b) yes, they're discreet; so everyone buys them for their camera and so everyone has them for their camera and so everyone knows that the Crumpler you're carrying could very probably have a camera in it... besides, who doesn't want to steal a Crumpler anyway? ;)
You make a good point, but I will not carry a diaper bag :lol:

With the hopeful addition of a D90 to my kit soon, I'm looking into a Domke F7 (Black or Sand color, haven't decided) to hold two ready bodies, although it's hardly inconspicuous.

I've had over the shoulder bags, backpack style bags (Tamrac Expedition 6x), and sling bags (LowePro Slingshot 300 AW), and I like the over the shoulder bags the best. Backpacks hold a ton of stuff, but are a hassle because you have to take them off to access gear. Slings are a little better because you can simply slip it around to the front to access the body w/attached lens. However, if you want access to anything else you have to take it off anyway unless you want to risk dumping it all out on the ground. And most of the time I have my camera out of the bag anyway, so the sling feature is a bit pointless.

I was looking into Crumpler, but the only over the shoulder bag I could find for two ready bodies (one with 80-200 f/2.8 attached) is the Brazillion Dollar Home, and it's like almost $300.

Same opinion about crumplers.... Every time I look at them, I'm looking at similar price points for Domke products. Except with Domke, I get better quality materials, metal components and canvas that actually looks better with age. I've seen some really worn out Domke bags still in use... canvas has been around for ages and has survived even the trails of war time use. With crumpler, you can plastic buckles, Polyester shell, and PVC... you'd think they would be inexpensive... its all plastic. On the other hand, Crumplers are more popular in the younger crowd because of their updated style versus Domke's more classic looks. I could understand the attraction of that... Crumpler's roots are with bike messengers while Jim Domke (founder of Domke) is a photo-journalist.

Just get a $20 bag from Wal-Mart and put some closed-cell foam squares in it so you can pad and customize.

I understand not wanting to draw attention to your valuable gear, but consider two things...

1. As far as I am concerned, any bag is subject to theft at all times.
2. Unless you don't take your camera out, then people will still see your camera. Regardless as to what your bag looks like, if you have the money for "one of those" cameras, you got something they want in that bag...which goes right back to my first point.

So use whatever bag works, but just don't kid yourself. :gun:

Great point, I think a thief knows what to look for, so just be aware of your surroundings and shoot away, with a camera that is :mrgreen:

Kinda falls into the category of auto theft.

If they want your car bad enough, they'll get it. It doesn't mean you should just say "oh well" and leave your door unlocked. You just want to be less of a target than the next guy. If they make you out as a mark for camera theft, they will get it from you. The idea is to be less of a target than the next guy. In NYC for example, a messenger bag or brief case is going to look like any of the 1000s of new yorkers walking around. A person walking around with the white case of a 400mm L prime hanging around their shoulder is definitely going to stick out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back