Independent Study- Job Shadow

brownnathanial

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was not sure where to post this but I am looking for the opinion of a professional.

I am a sophomore in high school and for my independent study I want to do a job shadow with a photographer. The only requirement is that I complete 60 hours of work before the end of the semester. I would like to observe a studio shoot as this is one setting I have never experienced. Another thing I'd like to do is help out with setting up and tearing down to learn the basics in the studio as well as lighting. Part of the project I plan to spend working on my own doing portraits for people on my own time, at my own location. My ideal final project would be to organize, set up, and shoot a shoot in a professional studio under the supervision of the professional.

The thing I am having problems with right now is how I should go about proposing this to the photographer. I was thinking of sending a letter as well as my portfolio. My instructor wants me to take my portfolio (See website- N. Brown Photography - Home) and go talk to the photographer in person but I feel that this would be invading their time and look unprofessional by showing up unannounced.

Any feedback, suggestions, anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I would find a REPUTABLE studio that has work that you like and then send then an introductory email to begin. I say reputable because there are aaallloootttt of photographers (even those who have studios) who would be eager to let you shadow them as an ego boost, but not all of them will give you a valuable experience.

Anyways, I'd send them an email basically explaining what you just said above.

Since you're a high school student I imagine several studios would love to have you help since they probably wouldn't see you as a threat to their business and it would mean an extra pair of hands around the studio.

Be professional about it as well. Don't be all "Hey what's up." Use a salutation and all that great stuff.

I would also send a follow up email a few days later to see if they received your original or if a response slipped their mind.

At this point, I think it would also be a good idea to call them and inquire if you haven't heard back.

I would not cold-call them though. That might seem unprofessional.

Good luck and hope to see your images here in he future! :D

Pick up a phone and call! Tell them what you just told us - that you'd like to do a job shadow with them, and you'd like to schedule an appointment so you can show them your portfolio, discuss the needs of the project, etc.

You'd call if you wanted to schedule a session in front of the camera, wouldn't you? Why is it so much harder to call to schedule something for behind the camera?

I agree, it would probably be best to contact the photographer first and set up a day and time, and present your idea like you did here - be yourself. You may want to take some photos from your portfolio but probably streamline it to a small number (maybe 10-20 of your best), then the photographer can look at your website to see more.

On your site I'd think about how you're phrasing the info. on the main page; it came across almost like a working photographer but yet it didn't seem to quite match what I was seeing and didn't become clear til looking further that you're a student. It seems that you are taking photos for others so it might be a matter of figuring out how to convey that (student+photographer) in a paragraph as an intro.

I can see what seems to be talent and potential in your photos so pursuing this opportunity seems like it could be worthwhile. Keep working at developing your skills; for example you got some really nice skateboarding shots, in some of your sports photos you might want to think about your framing - I found it takes getting the timing down and lots of practice. You may want to keep trying new things to see what you like best, and if you photograph what interests you that may lead you to what you could do successfully.

Have you been researching Edgerton?? If not this might interest you - Iconic photos « Harold "Doc" Edgerton . And Muybridge did stop-action early on in photography - Eadweard Muybridge | Tate . I like your Dead End, I think that shows some creativity. Good luck.

Most reactions

Back