Indoor shooting?

91dope

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Not sure if I'm posting in the right place.... Will be shooting indoors, what kind of lighting should I use to take pictures of products, furniture to be exact. I can't seem to get the color right on the brighter colored ones.

Shooting with a 60d. 50mm 1.8

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place.... Will be shooting indoors, what kind of lighting should I use to take pictures of products, furniture to be exact. I can't seem to get the color right on the brighter colored ones.

Shooting with a 60d. 50mm 1.8

Some form of external flash would probably be a good investment. With furniture, especially with larger furniture, you probably won't want to shoot at 1.8 as much because you'll be losing a lot of depth of field. So most likely your best bet will be to invest in some sort of external lighting or at the very least a good external flash.

We'll really need a little more information to best help. Can you post some examples of the work you've done thus far which you are unsatisfied and some LINKS to images which represent your ideal end-state? As well, what is your equipment budget, and how much space do you have to work with? What is your general level of photographic knowledge?

If you can't afford any extra gear, at the very least you'll need to shoot bracketed tripod shots as interior light leaves a bit to be desired. The 50mm is going to be pretty tight on a crop sensor for interior photography, but it all depends on the space you have to work with along with the subject matter. You're going to want to shoot at higher aperture values due to DoF concerns, as another poster mentioned.

In an ideal world, you'd have at least one external flash and a wide-angle lens.

Interior and architectural photography is typically not a point-and-shoot type of affair.

We'll really need a little more information to best help. Can you post some examples of the work you've done thus far which you are unsatisfied and some LINKS to images which represent your ideal end-state? As well, what is your equipment budget, and how much space do you have to work with? What is your general level of photographic knowledge?

Maybe some personal references while we are at it... hmm..

lol

I think you'll find if you provide a current example and an example of what you are striving for you'll get much better answers. Including your current equipment, setup, etc.

Yes a strobe light can help .. but it also depends upon placement. The subject, which may need, as an example 3 strobe lights for an even lighting .... and it all depends upon what you are taking a photo off. A wall sized book case where you may not want to show any shadow, or a small file cabinet.

To get the color right you may just need to learn about White Balance control on your camera.

So many possible answers that the pros could give you ...

Im thinking of getting a strobe light, would that be enough?
Lights are only part of the equation and one on it's own is rarely enough for product photography; generally you need at least 2 and 3-4 are better. They don't have to be expensive; Adorama's Flashpoint line will get you into a 250 w/s strobe with stand and modifier for <$200. You can put together a nice setup which should meet all of your needs for ~$750.

$re.jpgThis was shot using the standard lens that came with the camera, 18-135mm, using 2[FONT=Open Sans, Century Gothic, Verdana, sans-serif] fluorescent soft box lights. [/FONT]

color doesn't match...

Could be somewhat difficult, depending on how much time and money you have for this. The light on the left is brighter, (closer) and not the same color as the light elsewhere on the unit. So you may have to get more of the same kind of light to spread them out more evenly.

Could be somewhat difficult, depending on how much time and money you have for this. The light on the left is brighter, (closer) and not the same color as the light elsewhere on the unit. So you may have to get more of the same kind of light to spread them out more evenly.

Have plenty of time. Budget 1,000 should I invest in a better lens aswell? Any suggestions?

Most reactions

Back