Indoors Studio Photography

paratower

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I´ve just bought the Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 but i´m nothing of a pro yet, so the problem is that i´ve vary all the ocnfiguration in manual mode but i can´t get that soft and warm affect and light like a model magazine, i know that those photos require photoshop work but i think that this camera can do more than take noewspaper´s like photo, can u help me with this configuration of the anual mode please

thanks

Welcome to the forum. (you might want to run a spell check before you post)

That camera, and just about any camera, is capable of creating shots like you see in a magazine. The difference is lighting...and post processing....not the settings on your camera...although getting the exposure right is the first step.

It would help if you could show us your results...and then maybe a link to the type of shot that you are trying to achieve.

big mike thank you for the attentions and i´m sorry about the spelling but i´m from mexico and even if i understand almost everything in english, it´s kinda hard for me to write it..and most of all explain what my problem is or what i´m trying to do, i´ve tried to take photo just with the flash on the camera, i know it wont work the same way that in the studio with the proper lighting, but i don´t want to get to the studio and rent it and have the problem o throwing my money to the trash just becouse i can´t configurate my cam the proper way, but as i can see probably i may have to get there and try to see what the result is, hope you can post me a photo in indoor studio without lighting and without post prossesing so i can compare to the one i take and know that i can work with them later on photoshop

thanks again

i´ve tried to take photo just with the flash on the camera
That's your problem. The flash on the camera will give you poor results. You can't prepare for a studio situation with the on-camera flash. Studio lighting is a fairly complex subject...do you have any education or experience? If not, I'd suggest finding a book on the subject, as a start.

Really, all you need is a window. Practice with window light...which is much better than on-camera flash.

ok mike
thank you very much
i would practice with window light adn see what is the result

thansk for the help again

Window light...a great recommendation. A big white piece of cardboard might also come in handy as a reflector to fill in the shadows a little.

You also mentioned wanting a "soft and warm" appearance to the image. You can do both in post processing (Photoshop, etc.) but you can also get that in-camera if you're not yet doing a lot of image editing.

For adding warmth with your A100, you might try setting the white balance (WB) to a setting that results in a warmer image.

For instance, you can set WB to Daylight then fine tune it to the warm side by using the ▲/▼ control to adjust the scale to the plus side. You can also experiment with the Cloudy and Shade settings and adjust them to the negative, if they're too warm.

For softness, you could use a photographic filter made for just such an effect...or you could resort to an old trick or two. Try stretching a piece of a woman's stocking over the front of your lens and secure it with a rubber band. Warm colored stockings will add a hint of warmth but you can also use a black stocking. Vary your aperture to see how it affects the softness.

Alternatively, if you have an old UV or other clear filter you don't mind playing around with, you could spritz it with hair spray. Start lightly and check the effect. Later, you can remove it (mostly) with some alcohol.

For an even stronger effect, you could rub petroleum jelly (Vaseline) on the filter and even experiment with leaving some parts clear or thinly coated while other parts get a heavier application.

Have some fun. Just be sure to take some "clean" shots, too!

Studios do cost a lot of money to rent, as does a full lighting setup. If it wasn't vital for the control then NO-ONE woud pay for it... But to begin with it is important to understand how the light works and how it affects the final image... Try all the suggestions you find here, buy or borrow some books/ magazines on the subject and try the examples. Try to recreate some of the pictures that you see (At first you will miss by miles. After a bit of practice though you will start to understand the problems, and the results will improve).
try to find a friend who is trying the same sort of stuff. You can swap ideas and a little competition between you will really spur you on....( also it makes models twice as easy to find, and equipment half the price etc,)
Keep reading, Keep trying, Keep posting, above all Keep pressing the shutter botton.
And the spell checker?... While it is nice , Although English (From England ) I am slightly dislexic, My spelling is rubbish, I know, But as long as we can understand what you write (And I can) we will be able to help you out (Now, Which way did you come in?).

Most reactions

Back