Inexpensive Flash Stand Recommendation?

EDIT:

Ok, here is what I was thinking...

1 SB-800 (I already have 1 SB-600) ($300)
2 Impact 6' Light Stands ($40)
2 Impact Swivel Mounts ($26)
2 Umbrellas ($20)
1 Cactus Trans/Receive ($32) (this looks like it has transmitter and receiver, yes?)
1 Cactus Receiver ($20)

I can't quite seem to find those hotshoe adapters that you have (and I like them from what I see). Do you happen to have a part/mfg number?

Did I miss anything else?

EDIT: Also on the wireless sync... are those PocketWizards really as expensive as they appear to be? Almost looks like I'd need to have a $200-300 unit for each flash??? That can't be right.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/42160-REG/Photoflex_AC_BSWCP_Multiclamp_with_Shoe_Mount.html

Here's one example, they're fantastic as they hold the flash and umbrella. Opus makes a good one that's generally quite cheap. Photoflex's is the exact same from what I can tell.

Edit: After looking at your links, I see you already had one of these. Which hotshoe adapter are you talking about?

And as for the Pocketwizards, yes they're expensive.

I bought a smith victor continuous light set that came with good light housing/reflectors, ok umbrellas and GREAT lightweight stands. I never use the continuous lights, but those stands get used quite a bit. The set put me back around $80USD. Not a bad price for three, lightweight 11ft stands and you get ok continuous lights for free!

Tolyk- I was looking for the studs that Jerry is using, or some nearly equivelent. (couple sync cable points, etc.)

McQueen- That's interesting. I'll go look that up. Thanks for the tip.

My brass studs came with the light stand (one each ) and swivel brackets (one each).

I'll have a better answer if I understand what part is not clear for you. Basically what you need is outlined in post #14, but feel free to ask away. :)

Ok, here is what I was thinking...
<SNIP!>
1 Cactus Trans/Receive ($32) (this looks like it has transmitter and receiver, yes?)
Yes. As mentioned, you can also get them from MPEX. Should be less than 3 weeks to get them too... though to be honest, I ordered a slew of Cactus V2s receivers and transmitters from them almost 3 weeks ago and still have not received anything.

I can't quite seem to find those hotshoe adapters that you have (and I like them from what I see). Do you happen to have a part/mfg number?

Yes. Hotshoe adapter link is HERE.

Did I miss anything else?

Yes. Sync wire is available on the same site as the hotshoe adapter.

Also on the wireless sync... are those PocketWizards really as expensive as they appear to be? Almost looks like I'd need to have a $200-300 unit for each flash??? That can't be right.

It is sick how expensive it can get using PWs. For someone that's not a professional, I think its a complete waste of money. Looking at my setup, which is basically 6 lights and 2 cameras, in Cactus equipment this cost me exactly $178US.

This same setup using PWs would cost me $1600US... that's more than I paid for the most expensive lens in my arsenal, the Nikkor 70-200VR F/2.8!!

Sorry I don't have time to read through all the posts (back to work) and if this has already been suggested, please accept my apologies.

Possible solution for inexpensive flash stand:
Plan-B.jpg

:biglaugh:

Bungee balls won't help you if you want that light in EXACTLY the place you need it to be in the middle of a room or far from a wall. It's good if it is convenient, and I actually own a few of them, however, I find paying that $15 more for a real light stand is priceless in terms of which one I use more. :)

I just use my old Slik tripod and, the cold shoe Nikon provided with my SB600. I ghetto rig everything I can such as reflectors, bounce cards and, still dont have an umbrella.

Bungee balls won't help you if you want that light in EXACTLY the place you need it to be in the middle of a room or far from a wall. It's good if it is convenient, and I actually own a few of them, however, I find paying that $15 more for a real light stand is priceless in terms of which one I use more. :)
Maybe you missed the :biglaugh: below my photo. I was having a bit of a laugh, but saying you can't get the light in EXACTLY the place you want isn't exactly true with the tilt and rotation of the flash head on the SB's.

A Super Clamp can also be useful.

Either one can give you options and creative placements that a light stand won't provide. A light stand in a room crowded with people celebrating can be knocked over by accident.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned. I saw this somewhere, don't remember where...

Super cheap light stand:

Get a stick, a bucket, and some concrete. (Do I really have to tell you what to do next?)

Clamp the light to the stick.

(This might qualify as "crappy" though...)

Last edited:
I think this clarified the remainder for me- thanks Jerry.

Kundalini- I laughed when I saw that. :)

Jeep Man- yeah that's totally a good way to do it, but not something that would work for my situation since I'm roaming around with this stuff getting paid good money to take pictures of multi-million dollar buildings. :) I think, at the VERY least, i would get some REALLY weird looks from the current tenants. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back