Infant bereavement photography???

maytay20

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mwphoto.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really want to do this, but I am wondering if I have enough skill to yet?? I want to join http://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/ and get on the list of photographers. Not for money I wouldn't charge anything for this of course. But in my heart I know how much I wish I had better photos of my son who I had and lost 26 weeks into my pregnancy. My question is with the few photos that are on the site what kind of lighting and other equipment is needed?? I have a 40D with kit lens, 30D and it's kit lens and a 50mm 1.8. I also have a set of constant studio lights and the 430EX. I have done weddings and lots of portraits just am still not sure of my skill as of yet. I use my camera in only the creative modes and no automatic modes. I am still not sure if my heart is ready to see this again first hand but i know it would feel good to give a parent that has had such a sudden loss some wonderful memories. And also I can't give them a ton of sheets for free so how should I go about handling that end?? Maybe just giving them to them at cost?? Like I said I am not looking to make money on this but I also can't break my family's budget. I would love to hear others opinions on this topic. Thank you, Mary

I guess it's effectively portrait photography, so you're going to want the same gear you'd use under those circumstances.

Regarding skill, it is as much about your ability to complete the work from a technical point of view as it is about building a rapport with the family that you'll be shooting. Only you know if you can make them comfortable.

Search the forums this topic has come up before and I think a couple of people have experience with this wonderful cause.

Photography in general is (arguably) rarely about your technical skill or gear. If you have a passion for this type of work then do it. With a little luck and soul searching I trust you will provide some amazing photos. On the other hand if your are not sure that your heart is ready then do not do it. There is nothing wrong in waiting until you are ready.

Love & Bass

I just learned something new, wow. Sorry for your loss. I think you should just go for it. It seems like a really hard thing to do. I wish you the best in this area. If possible maybe you won’t have to pay for the prints the parents should be willing I believe. But I know nothing of this area. It just seems like the right thing to do. They would want to offer. Good luck.

Hey, go for it, I say. Put your name on the list and right away, start practicing static family portraiture. Maybe get a strobe or 2 and learn... its not as hard as most think.

I was thinking of doing the same, but honestly, it would be terribly difficult emotionally for me. I may reconsider again at a later date.

Most reactions

Back